legally required back up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
When is a legally back up power required? My friend is bidding on doctors office with multiple rooms and will have (1) surgery room (plastic surgery) and he asked me if back up generators are required by law.

Thank you.

ceb58

When is a legally back up power required? My friend is bidding on doctors office with multiple rooms and will have (1) surgery room (plastic surgery) and he asked me if back up generators are required by law.

Thank you.

That should be in the plans as if needed or required. However the AHJ can and will make that determination. They will also decide if it is a Art.700 install or 701.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
That should be in the plans as if needed or required. However the AHJ can and will make that determination. They will also decide if it is a Art.700 install or 701.

Thank you.

So if the AHJ requires it then it has to be based on article 700. If the AHJ do not requires it then the NEC is not involved.

Shoe

The facility falls under 517 of the NEC. Look up Critical Care areas, and see if this facility has those qualifying areas, as that would drive much of the generator requirements.

If the patients are anethetized, with (4) or more being incapable of self-preservation, this may fall under a "surgery center" classification, which would not on only require a generator but the full requirements of a hospital distribution system.

ceb58

Thank you.

So if the AHJ requires it then it has to be based on article 700. If the AHJ do not requires it then the NEC is not involved.

Not quiet sure where you are going with that statement:?. IF the AHJ determines the facility dose require a backup system then more than likely he will require it to be a Art. 700 install for a emergency system. See the post below for some good info. If the AHJ dose not require a back up system and the owners still want one then it would fall under Art.702 optional stand by systems. But in ether case the install will and dose fall under the NEC.

The facility falls under 517 of the NEC. Look up Critical Care areas, and see if this facility has those qualifying areas, as that would drive much of the generator requirements.

If the patients are anethetized, with (4) or more being incapable of self-preservation, this may fall under a "surgery center" classification, which would not on only require a generator but the full requirements of a hospital distribution system.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
Not quiet sure where you are going with that statement:?. No where. what I meant to say is if it required by AHJ then it has to according to NEC. IF the AHJ determines the facility dose require a backup system then more than likely he will require it to be a Art. 700 install for a emergency system. See the post below for some good info. If the AHJ dose not require a back up system and the owners still want one then it would fall under Art.702 optional stand by systems. But in ether case the install will and dose fall under the NEC.

Thank you both for your replies. Sorry, sometimes i don't communicate clearly.

Status
Not open for further replies.