receptacle ratings, 15a and 20a

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjmike

This post extends from the emailed mike holt NEC questions for the day. Referring to code section 210.21, specifically table 210.21(B)(3). This does not make sence. If I am reading it correctly, it is saying you can not put a 20A duplex receptacle on a circuit protected by a 15A breaker. I do not see the harm in it. Even if you plug in a 20A load, the 15A OCPD will protect the circuit from overload. You should be able to connect any receptacle to a 15A circuit even if it is say rated for 50A. I find this to be stranger than allowing a receptacle rated for 15A to be allowed on a 20A circuit. I know, there can't be a load exceeding 15A plugged into a 15A receptacle.

kingpb

Occupation
Engineer, Registered
I guess i don't follow the confusion. For example, a NEMA 15A receptacle configuration of the slots, is not going to physically accept a 20A plug. So, in essence even if you wanted to try this, which I'm not sure why because a 20A load on a 15A circuit is going trip, the plug and receptacle won't match up.

IMO, the NEC could take this out because it's not really related to safety, it's a matter of it just wouldn't work.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
A 20 amp circuit can have a 15 amp duplex receptacle not a 15 amp single receptacle.
A 15 amp circuit can have a 20 amp single receptacle not a 20 amp duplex.

Status
Not open for further replies.