I had a thought

Status
Not open for further replies.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
big feeder - 2500A or so.

there is no real reason that it has to terminate at a CB as was originally envisioned.

If I were to find something else to terminate it at that joined all the conductors together it is just a normal parallel conductor feeder.

Then I can tap off to two 1200A CBs.

is there anything that I can use to tie those conductors together and tap off of?

no distribution blocks in that size.

i looked at lugging it to 'something" but that something is missing.

this cannot be a unique situation that no one else has ever run across before. there must be a simpler solution that I am just not seeing.

I can't see using a 2500A CB as a distribution block.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I bet Polaris has connectors for that. How many and what sizes are we talking

4 Polaris-LG.jpg

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I wold think that a switchboard company should be able to make up an enclosure with bus detail and lugs that you can use to terminate the conductors.

RB1

Bob,

There is a company in Houston that makes a Utility Transition Cabinet that is essentially bus bars in a NEMA 3 enclosure for that purpose. It is used to move the service point outside of a pad-mounted tranformer cabinet. I can't remember the name. I can find it when I go back in the office in the morning. I think it is Andrews.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Dennis,
They have a IPLD 750-12 that has 12 ports for 250 through 750 kcmil, but they are not UL listed.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
I am guessing (6) 600 MCM per phase.

are the polaris connectors listed?

The polaris 750 connectors aren't. I wonder why?
Anyway, Ilsco makes some that are.

http://www.ilsco.com/ProductsDetail...=CZRn3k9aPLjTQZ2ftfGPjLdufW4N2GI463I52hr89FQ=
Here is a 12 port for 750 at the bottom of the page. http://www.ilsco.com/ProductsDetail...=CZRn3k9aPLjTQZ2ftfGPjLdufW4N2GI463I52hr89FQ=

Here is the whole list, pick and choose..http://www.ilsco.com/productcategor...hY2ly2ShYpg=&akjdjfv=bq9oHViFaxQnf2g6uRehNA==

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
I was under the impression that the companies that make distribution blocks could custom make anything you wanted as long as you could wait? Would that not work?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I was under the impression that the companies that make distribution blocks could custom make anything you wanted as long as you could wait? Would that not work?

I have had long chats with several companies that make distribution blocks. it is true they will make you anything you want. However, the SCCR will be 10kA unless you put a current limiting fuse in front of it.

kwired

Electron manager
I wold think that a switchboard company should be able to make up an enclosure with bus detail and lugs that you can use to terminate the conductors.

They might even include some fused disconnects for you to land your tapped feeders into:cool:.

Seriously - with a feeder that size you have to think very seriously about cost of making a tap vs running a little longer feeder to get to a switchboard or panelboard. Is is worth making even a 200 amp tap off a feeder that big vs running extra 100 feet of 200 amp conductors to a switchboard? It certainly is worth what it would take for say a 30 amp tap, unless we are tapping in the middle of a very long feeder.

Last edited:

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
I think I'd buy an MDP and be done with it. We've got one installed on a job right now, 2400 amp rated with six breakers in it, no main, that sounds like something that would work great for you as well. The breakers may be redundant for you but at least you'd have a nice clean install with no worries about tap length anymore.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I think I'd buy an MDP and be done with it. We've got one installed on a job right now, 2400 amp rated with six breakers in it, no main, that sounds like something that would work great for you as well. The breakers may be redundant for you but at least you'd have a nice clean install with no worries about tap length anymore.

I had some severe finacial constriants to deal with. If the customer had not accepted breaking it into multiple chunks, I was kind of planning to have Siemens make me an MCC section that was MLO incoming and outgoing. I was going to set it between and adjacent to (actually bolted to) the two enclosures the taps would have fed to.

But breaking it up is a much cleaner answer.

kwired

Electron manager
I had some severe finacial constriants to deal with.

If you are dealing with a circuit that size I sure hope you don't have an owner that wants to know where every single penny spent went to. There has got to be some other high dollar items to go with this circuit, like maybe whatever load it supplies:eek:hmy:

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
If you are dealing with a circuit that size I sure hope you don't have an owner that wants to know where every single penny spent went to. There has got to be some other high dollar items to go with this circuit, like maybe whatever load it supplies:eek:hmy:

we are only doing the controls side of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.