TR/WR/AFCI/Covers??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Tuttle

We have an odd situation. A screened in porch (sort of) was added to a house. The only thing is it has wall made of clear plexiglass up to around 6 ft then screen 6-8 ft. It's going to be a summer hangout and sleeping room. Should the circuits be afci, wet location covers or damp, WR and TR receptacles ??

Confused

Mr. Tuttle

John120/240

I vote for GFCI protection, bubble covers, & WR recptacles.

It is a screened porch. The fact that somebody might sleep there, does not make it a bedroom.

Last edited:

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
I would not have thought that a screened porch would be considered a wet location require buble covers.

mm11

I just finished a screened in porch, and installed WR [406.9(A)] TR (406.12) GFCI receptacles, with WR, TR receptacles slaved off load side of GFCI, with in use covers. I did not have any problems passing inspection.

kwired

Electron manager
I just finished a screened in porch, and installed WR [406.9(A)] TR (406.12) GFCI receptacles, with WR, TR receptacles slaved off load side of GFCI, with in use covers. I did not have any problems passing inspection.

No reason to fail that install, all minimum requirements were met. You could have done same thing for every receptacle inside the dwelling and would have passed also.

Hendrix

We have an odd situation. A screened in porch (sort of) was added to a house. The only thing is it has wall made of clear plexiglass up to around 6 ft then screen 6-8 ft. It's going to be a summer hangout and sleeping room. Should the circuits be afci, wet location covers or damp, WR and TR receptacles ??

Confused

Mr. Tuttle
I'll go with GFCI, WR, TR, damp location covers:cool:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
It is still a screen porch in my eyes so no afci is needed however wp covers are needed but not the bubble covers. Gfci is required, IMO

mm11

I installed in use covers per the inspector- AHJ requirement, not NEC. Receptacles were installed about 2' off of screened wall.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I see in use covers 10' inside a screen porch. This is not required around here so I am guessing electricians just put them in because they don't know the code.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
The fact that someone sleeps on a screen porch does not make it a bedroom. Many people sleep in their living rooms. I don't see how AFCI would be required

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
I installed in use covers per the inspector- AHJ requirement, not NEC. Receptacles were installed about 2' off of screened wall.

It is a NEC requirement because of how the AHJ reads this:

406.9 Receptacles in Damp or Wet Locations.
(A) Damp Locations. A receptacle installed outdoors in a
location protected from the weather or in other damp locations
shall have an enclosure for the receptacle that is
weatherproof when the receptacle is covered (attachment
plug cap not inserted and receptacle covers closed).
An installation suitable for wet locations shall also be
considered suitable for damp locations.
A receptacle shall be considered to be in a location
protected from the weather where located under roofed
open porches, canopies, marquees, and the like, and will
not be subjected to a beating rain or water runoff. All 15-
and 20-ampere, 125- and 250-volt nonlocking receptacles
shall be a listed weather-resistant type.

My guess as to why he wants them. Same around here. Required.

Microwatt

Confused

Mr. Tuttle

I think the OP questions has been answered, so I have a question. Does the plexiglass wall containg framing members or is it just a sheet stood up on end? Not that it really matters but I'm having a hard time envisioning this wall.

Wilg

Unfortunately we see a lot of in-use covers snapped off and tossed away the first time the home owner uses them. We do require them as directed by the NEC. Better ones are out there but the cheapest ones usually get installed. Have to agree that AFCI doesn't make sense in this situation.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
Unfortunately we see a lot of in-use covers snapped off and tossed away the first time the home owner uses them. We do require them as directed by the NEC. Better ones are out there but the cheapest ones usually get installed. Have to agree that AFCI doesn't make sense in this situation.

Here we go. :p Why don't you think an AFCI make sense? I know that it is not required, not a habitable room, however would it not provide additional safety?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician

Wilg

I wasn't making any judgement on AFCI's themselves, only that I agree just because someone sleeps in a room doesn't make it a bedroom. I do like the "elephant deterrent" analogy though.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.