Connecting small grounding detail to Neutral bar in a multi gang meter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ctelectrician1

Hello everyone,

Just a quick question.
I ran into an inspector the other day that insits that the small ground bar at the bottom of a multi gang meter with mains needs to be connected to the neutral bar at the top with a full size ground. This ground bar is only being used for the SERs that feed the units. My ufer ground goes direct to the neutral bar that has the main bonding jumper to the can. Any ideas?

hurk27

What you have is an inspector who is confusing the requirement of GEC's with EGC's
A GEC has to land on the neutral bar or if landed on the grounding bar that grounding bar has to have a wire or buss bar connection to the neutral bar not screws, EGC's do not have this requirement, 250.24(A)(4)

Last edited:

kwired

Electron manager
Hello everyone,

Just a quick question.
I ran into an inspector the other day that insits that the small ground bar at the bottom of a multi gang meter with mains needs to be connected to the neutral bar at the top with a full size ground. This ground bar is only being used for the SERs that feed the units. My ufer ground goes direct to the neutral bar that has the main bonding jumper to the can. Any ideas?
Ask him if he knows what the purpose of the main bonging jumper is, or if he knows then he apparently did not see it - show it to him.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
A few weeks ago I had an inspector make a comment that I needed to install a jumper between the 2 factory installed ground bars in a loadcenter. He said you can not depend on the enclosure. He continued with his inspection and never wrote it up so I didn't bother telling him what I thought of his opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.