What would you do...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
While bidding there is a note

"A green ground conductor should be run with all branch circuit and feeders" Would you RFI? Most time the conduit is the ground.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems

"A green ground conductor should be run with all branch circuit and feeders" Would you RFI? Most time the conduit is the ground.

Bid it as it is specified.
In this part of the country, conduit is rarely 'the ground'.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician

Had they just said "ground" conductor, you might ask if the conduit may be used if suitable. But since they specifically said "green ground conductor", that is what they want and should be bid as such.

cdslotz

Why would you question/RFI something so written in stone?
The Engineer would just get pissed for wasting his time.

renosteinke

Hmm ... I bet today's customer had that spec.

I opened a very crowded box, to reveal five circuits, each with it's very one, unspliced ground wire. 15 wires, one crowded pipe.

cdslotz

For verification. Sometimes notes get carried from previous jobs and don't apply to the job your currently bidding.

To verify what? That the engineer must not mean what the note says?
How can it NOT apply to that job? It has conduit and wire right?
Notes that don't apply are notes like "all unit heaters shall have a fusible switch" when there are no unit heaters.

Go ahead and RFI. Let us know how he responds.

Haha!!

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
To verify what? That the engineer must not mean what the note says?
How can it NOT apply to that job? It has conduit and wire right?
Notes that don't apply are notes like "all unit heaters shall have a fusible switch" when there are no unit heaters.

Go ahead and RFI. Let us know how he responds.

Haha!!

It could be a "boiler plate" note... Ok how often is a separate ground wire run for all branch circuits? I am guessing a lot less than when using conduit instead of a separate ground. That's enough reason for me to RFI it. I have seen many times where the engineer puts a note on the drawing but then comes with an RFI response that modifys the requirement or note. I not bidding.. I just saw the note on a drawing and the first things I said to myself was " is that an unusual requirement for a project"

HA HA

Greg1707

Occupation
Business owner Electrical contractor
Should?

Should?

"Should" is not a very commanding word. Required or must would convey a stronger meaning. Does the NEC use "should" anywhere?

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Bid it as it is specified.
In this part of the country, conduit is rarely 'the ground'.

The same way in this part of the country too, I've not been on a new job where the conduit has been used as a ground in at least 20 years. Try to get away with that wiring a Wally World, they actually pull on the wires at the panel to make sure your not faking it. (Many years ago one of our foremen got busted on a remodel/takeover where the existing wiring was using the conduit as the ground, he shoved a couple of feet of green wire up the pipe)

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~

the word normally used is "shall". i would just bid with a ground wire. he told you what he wanted. a ground wire.

most of the time, the conduit is not used as ground anymore. it can be but is not customary to do so... not around here,
anyway.

cdslotz

It could be a "boiler plate" note... Ok how often is a separate ground wire run for all branch circuits?

Oh probably every job I bid in the last 20 years or so.

Boiler plate notes and specs are boiler plate for a reason.
SO THE ENGINEER DOESN'T HAVE TO RE-WRITE WHAT HE REQUIRES ON EVERY JOB!!!!

You know, you're thread title is "What would you do"?

Well...we told you

Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.