Feeder taps

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattjglobe

I have a 400A 480V 3 phase panelboard fed from the main switchboard, protected by a 400A breaker. I want to install a new piece of equipment that requires 300A. Can I tap off of the 400A panelboard with a 300A circuit that terminates in a 400A safety switch with 300A fuses to feed the new equipment? The switch would be located next to the 400A panelboard, not more than 10' away.

mattjglobe

Feeder tap

Feeder tap

The new equipment will be located in another room, about 80' from the location of the 400A panelboard. I don't know yet if the new equipment has a disconnect. The feeder tap ends at the first fused disconnect, correct? After that, it is a branch circuit or sub-feeder?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
A branch circuit is the circuit conductors after the last overcurrent protective device as per definition in the NEC.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The new equipment will be located in another room, about 80' from the location of the 400A panelboard. I don't know yet if the new equipment has a disconnect. The feeder tap ends at the first fused disconnect, correct? After that, it is a branch circuit or sub-feeder?
The new equipment can be as far away as you like as long as the tap is not over 25 feet, in your case , before it terminates in overcurrent protection rated at the ampacity of the conductors

Status
Not open for further replies.