Wood shop in residential basement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gac66610

It's a somewhat of a smaller room, 15'X30' approx, 9' ceilings

HO is planning to use it as a wood working area, with saws and sanders, stain and lacquer

Would anyone feel safe about the electrical panels in this room?

I for one do not, the only other place would be in the furnace room adjacent to the wood shop, but,
will not meet clearances (water heaters on one side electric furnace on the other)

there are no inspections, as this is in the county, so I have to make the "lesser of 2 evils" call

what do you believe is the best choice?:?

templdl

Being a woodworker myself as know others if dust was an issue then he has a big time dust control issue. One of the goals of a woodwork is dust control.
The same with finishing materials an vapors. I would be extremely concerned with open flames for a gas furnace, water heater, cloths drier, etc.
Should finishing vapors be of a level to be that dangerous around electrical equipment then he shouldn't be in that environment.
The there are all of those portable electric tools with universal brush type motors that obviously would be of concern should there be an explosive atmosphere present.

Gac66610

Those are my main concerns, dust and vapors, how much I don't know, but he is having dust tight doors leading to the house

with that now my issue is clearance for the 2 - 200a MB panels in the furnace room

thought about staking them, just not sure how close to the floor would be too close with the water heaters less than 18" away

thanks for the replies

Rick Christopherson

HO is planning to use it as a wood working area, with saws and sanders, stain and lacquer

Would anyone feel safe about the electrical panels in this room?
Why not? Have you ever looked up the MSDS for either wooddust or lacquer? Before either of these materials reach their "Lower Explosive Limit", they have already exceeded their IDLH (Immediatly Dangerous to Life and Health). What that means, is that before this environment can go "boom", the occupant is already laying on the floor and "dead". So he is not going to care much about any "booms". :p

I hear about these concerns quite frequently on woodworking forums, and they tend to get way overblown without foundation. I have an 1800 sq-ft woodshop in my basement. Right now it is only a hobby shop, but for quite a few years, it was a full-blown professional cabinet shop with up to 4 employees at a time. When I sprayed lacquer, I was laying down 5 gallons of it in a single day.....no "booms"! How can that be? Well, because before the shop can go "boom" the operator (me) would have to be "dead"!

By the way, I used to be an Industrial Hygiene technician with certifications in countless areas, including confined space and hazardous materials. In a residential woodshop, there is virtually no risk, outside of typical fire risk for any accumulation of dust on horizontal surfaces. But that will remain true for anyone that doesn't clean their house either.

Rick Christopherson

.......now my issue is clearance for the 2 - 200a MB panels in the furnace room
Wait a minute. This guy has a 15x30 basement shop and he wants you to put in 2x 200-amp panels? (presumably only 1 is for the added shop).

I understand that you are paid to do what the customer asks you to do, but this raises major red flags with me. You can either bite your tongue and do what is asked of you, or you could take the high-road and inform your client that he has the typical "Rock Star Mentality" that I see so frequently from woodworkers. That entire workshop could probably be served with 7-15 Kw total power.

Gac66610

Thanks for that, I'll be able to sleep tonight
Never thought about the MSDS, I even worked at a cabinet shop way back when, but too young to know, or worry, about it
when lacquer was sprayed it was in another room, well ventilated, thats what I was basing my concerns ... memories

now what can I dwell on, mowing the yard? Its 101 out, i think my dead grass can wait a week or two:lol:

Edit ... dont change my mind again! it is just a hobby shop, the 400a service is for the house ... all electric
not just the shop

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.