EPA RRP...... my day in certificationville.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
pulled the EPA certification for lead renovation today. 8 hour class.

informational note: i'm neither singing the praises nor damning the
thing, nor do i care if you have a cert, or a vacuum, or a 'tude
about the whole thing. it's none of my business what you do.

this is just so you are not blindsided by something you didn't
even know about. ignorance is not an excuse, it's an expensive
luxury. willful disobedience, is a prohibitively expensive luxury.

it's a federal statute so it affects all of us, however, it's extra
special in california.... i'll mention the flavor of the koolaid in
california... if you can deal with it, you can deal with anything.

pre '78 construction.....

you don't test for lead in the paint, you assume it's there and act accordingly.

IF YOU DISTURB IT AT ALL... *AT ALL*, you need to have the certification,
or be trained by someone who does have the certification. this does not
make you certified, you are simply performing tasks under the certificate
of another person.

this can amount to.... cutting in can lights, switches, plugs, breaking
out stucco around a panel, anything that involves disturbing existing
paint.

a certificated person must work for a registered company. the company
must have a certificated person during set up, tear down, and to do both
training uncertificated people, and certify compliance with the RRP provisions.

penalties for violation of this can be based on ability to pay, but there
is a cap of $37,500 per violation, per day.

caps on penalties vary depending on the occupancy.

you can be reported for violating this federal statute by EPA inspectors,
building inspectors, customers, private citizens, anyone.

anyone at all.

refusing to allow an inspector on the premises, defaults to a maximum
fine, to the property owner.

there is a procedure for containment, and the use of an approved hepa
vac, not a shop vac with a hepa filter. i'll not bore you with the details,
as it doesn't matter what you do if you don't have the certification.

costs to do this:

class $265 (varies from 175-350)
business registration $300
shop vac $713.31 (i'm partial to the festool product line, so i went with that, plus extra bags.)

so the day was $1,278.13 + $12 for a fuddruckers burger (ordered swiss cheese, cost extra)

that's the cost of doing it.

the cost of not doing it seems to be in the range of $2,500 ~ $9,000, based on what seems
to be available info.

the record fine in so calif was $880,000.

the most severe punishment is a house flipper who is currently serving three years on terminal island.
the federal government didn't take his money, they took him.

what's the chance of getting caught? i had half a dozen high end painters and refinishers who work
newport coast, back bay, costa mesa, etc. in my class today... the gold coast, it's called.

there are three EPA inspectors working that area, three more in south bay of LA, that have been working
stings for 4 months now... they drive around in older neighborhoods, looking for painters, plumbers,
electricians, and spot checking.

they are handing out citations. enough to scare a lot of folks into a hotel meeting room on a thursday.
two electricians, three plumbers, several cabinetmakers, and the rest finish carpenters and painters.

if you don't have the cert, or have been task trained by someone on the job, who's information shall
be kept on the jobsite, and you are disturbing paint, you are fair game.

at least now you can make an informed decision. i didn't have any idea until i read about it here.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
pulled the EPA certification for lead renovation today. 8 hour class.
at least now you can make an informed decision. i didn't have any idea until i read about it here.

Most people give me that deer in the headlights look when I tell them. Glad you understand. Lets hope more do!

Fulthrotl

How can you 'not need it'?

Do you only work on homes newer than 1978?

that's something to consider....

you have to maintain records (photos, logs, etc.)
for three years from the end of the job. you are
now registered, so you can be audited. it does
happen.

if you have been doing work, and can't document,
there is an extra special whap for you. an additional
$37,500 on top of the other fine, for not complying
with something you were trained in.

when i said in my original post, that willful disregard
was a prohibitively expensive luxury, i wasn't kidding.
the EPA pdf file on fine setting is about 40 pages, and
language in there says that you making a profit while
violating the statute is to be prevented... also one of
the criteria is how much they can fine you, and still
leave you able to continue business.

the goal is not to put you out of operation, but to take
everything that you are capable of paying, so you
don't misbehave again.

the phrase "he crawled away, naked and bleeding" is
operative here.

renosteinke

I am sure that these draconian efforts will inspire the trunk-slammers, helpless handymen, illegals, and DIY crowd to forgo their sinfull ways, and call a properly certified and licensed contractor.

Yea. right.

More likely is that the EC will simply decide not to do residential work. Period.

Fulthrotl

I am sure that these draconian efforts will inspire the trunk-slammers, helpless handymen, illegals, and DIY crowd to forgo their sinfull ways, and call a properly certified and licensed contractor.

Yea. right.

More likely is that the EC will simply decide not to do residential work. Period.

it won't have any effect on those people at all.
except for the sucker punch.

i haven't mentioned the sucker punch yet, have i?

here is the sucker punch:

i call up an electrical contractor, or any other contractor for
that matter, and order some work done on my house.
he gives me a quote, and i accept it.

he does the work. he gives me a bill. i accept the bill,
and write him a check.

and i explain to him, that as i wasn't given my EPA brochure,
nor is the contractor certified, nor was the installer certified,
nor were correct containment and cleanup procedures followed,
here is what i can do...... with the pictures and documentation
i collected during the job.

if he cashes the check i just gave him, i can report him to the
EPA, and he will get a fine probably 3 or 4 times the amount of the
check i just gave him. up to $37,500 max.

if he tears the check up, and refuses compensation, there is
not a damn thing i or the EPA can do to him.

if you are not given ANY money for the work you did, you are
not liable for any fines from the EPA. it's in the rule book.

then, i see what he does. it's entirely up to him.
is it ethical? no. is it honest? no.

will it get done, if people know about it? you betcha.

interesting way to level the playing field, isn't it? :eek:hmy:

anybody want your house painted, for free?

GUNNING

I did mine 2 years ago. They still don't get it here. No lead testing on anything, but most of the stuff around here is newer. I carry my kit and Hepa vacuum and they come in handy. Really has helped me in my clean up skills. Forced me to be neater and careful in what I do. I ask myself is that more than 6 sq feet inside or 20 outside? Can I do this right? Is there evidence of lead? The answer is generally no and I have learned what to look for. I ask when was this house built? Is that a 1940's bungalo? Hud wants what?
I have a used 3M toner vac with hepa cartridge. It cost $83 with $25 cartridges. The instructor said just suck dust and the filter will last a long time. He was right.
I got a sticker and put it on my van and list it in my adds but nobody cares nor does anyone else do this. Its a mystery here to homeowners. The booklet? Can't find them and I'm reticent to tell homeowners they now own, in my humble opinion, a toxic waste dump and oh yea here is a free $4 booklet. That just makes everyone happy, happy, happy.:slaphead:

hurk27

Since this came out, we no longer do any demo-ing or wall repair, to be done by others and is never on any of my bills, we can cut in up to 6 Sq. Ft. of wall before it applies, and that is allot of outlet box's, there are way's to avoid this like above, other then that it's not require if we don't do what the rule covers.

Most cases the home owner or builders do the required demo work and repairs so it is up to them to comply

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Why are you making this a personal attack on me? Is this forum now allowing moderators to make snide remarks about people? Is this no longer a forum for professional electricians?

1. I do not see that as a personal attack.
2. I wish you would give us a second to soak in the discussion before making a spectacle of yourself. You reported the post after you made a post about it. Are you interested in setting things right, or simply causing trouble for iwire?
3. Please read and comply with the instructions laid out here next time you have a grievance. Chances are Bob did not intend to impune your character, and a simple PM exchange would have sorted this out.
4. As far as I am concerned, you two are grown enough to sort this out on your own. I am doing nothing with either of your posts at this time.

mlnk

The EPA lead rule requires certification if you disturb 6 square feet of wall. This comes out to 92 single gang cut-in boxes @ 9.3 SQ. in. per box if you do precise cuts, about 86 boxes if you do sloppy cuts. Of course, a two gang box is equal to 2. But if you are cutting in ceiling boxes, then you need to subtract 11 sq. in. for each one. So for a typical re-wire of a pre 1978 house: the limit is 15 ceiling boxes and 52 cut-in boxes. I am not counting where you blow holes in the plaster due to slight miscalculations. Exterior boxes are included if they are in painted surfaces. Conclusion: If you are adding a few outlets, wear a mask and use a HEPA vacuum to protect you and your customer. If you are re-wiring entire houses get an EPA certificate and charge an EPA abatement fee.

GUNNING

If you have to do the abatement thing it turns into $$$. Remember to add the costs of vacuum and plastic and tape and bunny suits. It adds up fast. I think I have gotten sick more on pesticides under houses and fiberglass in attics than on lead.
Remember it is an opportunity. Its an opportunity to educate and make money. Anyone not playing with the right skill set will not last.

I will do demo if I know I can control the site. I will not touch asbestos. That I'm afraid of yet its the same technique.

Fulthrotl

If you have to do the abatement thing it turns into $$$. Remember to add the costs of vacuum and plastic and tape and bunny suits. It adds up fast. I think I have gotten sick more on pesticides under houses and fiberglass in attics than on lead.
Remember it is an opportunity. Its an opportunity to educate and make money. Anyone not playing with the right skill set will not last.

I will do demo if I know I can control the site. I will not touch asbestos. That I'm afraid of yet its the same technique.

asbestos is a different cert, and a different deal... you have to run
negative pressure, and evacuate thru a hepa unit half the size of a refrigerator,
for abatement. you need to maintain differential pressure readings, third party
air sampling, a washdown shower exiting, some serious bagging, tenting, and
a whole lot of crap to contend with, including pulmonary function baseline
testing for personnel. zipwall, a hepa vac, visqueen and a bunny suit aren't gonna
get you there.

i was gonna pull an asbestos cert when i worked for DWP, as you can make some
seriously good overtime with that cert as an exempt employee. the civil servants
won't pull the cert, as they don't want the work, and an electrical mechanic with
the cert is golden there. then i had an attack of sanity and became self employed.

remediation and abatement are two entirely different things.

and the 6 square foot rule is federal, and has been superseded in california
by a 0 square foot law.

technically, a toggle bolt penetration requires the RRC cert in the people's republic.
ANY disturbance of paint.

GerryB

The EPA lead rule requires certification if you disturb 6 square feet of wall. This comes out to 92 single gang cut-in boxes @ 9.3 SQ. in. per box if you do precise cuts, about 86 boxes if you do sloppy cuts. Of course, a two gang box is equal to 2. But if you are cutting in ceiling boxes, then you need to subtract 11 sq. in. for each one. So for a typical re-wire of a pre 1978 house: the limit is 15 ceiling boxes and 52 cut-in boxes. I am not counting where you blow holes in the plaster due to slight miscalculations. Exterior boxes are included if they are in painted surfaces. Conclusion: If you are adding a few outlets, wear a mask and use a HEPA vacuum to protect you and your customer. If you are re-wiring entire houses get an EPA certificate and charge an EPA abatement fee.
I didn't know the 6 sq ft was cumulative like that.

GUNNING

scared straight

scared straight

Don't say that to the EPA inspector.:dunce:

I was told its an immediate violations when they walk up the drive at $32k a piece.:eek:

No certification, no sign, no containment, and no trained personnel on site.:thumbsdown:

$128,000.00 a visit, glad to see CA is more lenient. :cry:

Also someone said to use shaving cream to cut down the dust on smaller holes when you use a keyhole saw. Cleans up great and smells good to. I would use caulk on some suspect drilled holes, same principle more readily available. :thumbsup:

iwire

Staff member
I did mine in the spring 8 hours on saturday. Dont know if we will ever need it but I say better to have and not need than to need and not have.

How can you 'not need it'?

Do you only work on homes newer than 1978?

Lots of reasons you dont need it go to the class and you will find out .

I am interested to know of all of these reasons, can you tell us a few?

It just seems a busy residential service company would be running into this law almost daily.

In my position I have refused to do a number of jobs because of this law and we are not in the residential business.

Status
Not open for further replies.