Conduit Bodies

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
You won't really find one.

The closest you will get will be 110.3(B) and that is very much up to the discretion of the inspector.

kwired

Electron manager
I agree with Bob, let me ask what are you wanting to enter via another hole? Another raceway, just make a weep hole, or I have seen and done myself - route a grounding electrode conductor through this hole?

Entering with another raceway I have seen done a few times, don't necessarily know if it should be acceptable, the weep hole or GEC entry through a small hole I don't have as much issue with and do both of these often.

RingoSD

We have a mechanical cont. that we ran pipe for and he need a couple of stat wires so he just ran 1/2" conduit and MC cable into the side of 3/4" LL we had installed for them

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
You won't really find one.

The closest you will get will be 110.3(B) and that is very much up to the discretion of the inspector.

Not really. If the instructions included as part of the listing do not prohibit it, just how would an inspector ban it? Most places listed equipment is accepted by rule and the inspector has no option to not accept it as long as it does not violate the listing instructions.

How is this any different than the common practice of drilling a drain hole in a conduit body?

jusme123

Occupation
JW
would never install as OP suggest, but to add to discussion, what if someone drilled a 1/4 hole in back of an LB to support the LB?

kwired

Electron manager
would never install as OP suggest, but to add to discussion, what if someone drilled a 1/4 hole in back of an LB to support the LB?

Done that before too. Although if raceways are properly supported (usually within 3 ft of the conduit body) then no additional support is required by code. But sometimes that screw in the back makes it a lot more rigid, especially with smaller sized PVC bodies.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
If the instructions included as part of the listing do not prohibit it, just how would an inspector ban it?
UL says it has no way to know, in advance, if any field modification would be in conflict with its listing standards. UL says it is a judgment call by the inspector, but they would be glad to offer advice and guidance.

Status
Not open for further replies.