torque wrench

Status
Not open for further replies.

elecold

For load centers lugs what range of torque wrench should be used.
looking to get a wrench but not sure the range of Inch pounds I should be looking for.

:?

templdl

looking to get a wrench but not sure the range of Inch pounds I should be looking for.

You may have to look on the breaker itself for the torque requirements. I have looked at a number of installation manuals and torques are not listed. I would opt of a smaller torgue wrench with a 3/8" drive that has both inch and foot pounds.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
I would use a small driver for inch pounds that has a lower max tourque and a larger one for say 20lbs and above.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
I use 250 in lb craftsman torque wrench for larger bolts and 20-70 inlb WIHA torque screw for smaller screws.

kwired

Electron manager

I guess it depends on exactly what lugs you are talking about. Many lugs for conductors over 1/0 and with internal hex drive socket are generally asking for torque somewhere between 200 - 400 in/lbs. Majority I see are usually right about 250 or 275 in/lbs.

Lugs for conductors smaller than 1/0 and with straight screwdriver slot are often only requiring anywhere from 15 to 50 in/lbs.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Infinity

Do you have a seperate wrench for inch pounds?

I convert.
12 in/lbs = 1 ft/lb

Yes, we do the simple conversion for lugs listed in inch pounds. Slotted screws below 10 ft pounds usually get torqued with one of these:
11oKPbhjoAL.jpg

We do use micro torque wrenches for things like battery jars on UPS systems where the torque values are very low.

kwired

Electron manager
Yes, we do the simple conversion for lugs listed in inch pounds. Slotted screws below 10 ft pounds usually get torqued with one of these:
11oKPbhjoAL.jpg

We do use micro torque wrenches for things like battery jars on UPS systems where the torque values are very low.
Even if you use a torque screwdriver, if the setting is in the 20 - 25 in/lb range that feels like it will break your wrist if you do it too many times, and I can see why carpel tunnel syndrome is popular in people the electrical trade.

brian john

We carry 3 torque wrenches

1/4" 10-150 inch lbs
3/8" 10 ft lbs to 100 ft lbs
1/2" 50 ft lbs 200 ft lbs

AVERAGE NOT EXACT RANGES but I could check if I was not so lazy.

Our diesel mechanics have a 3/4" drive not sure about the range.

Status
Not open for further replies.