Arc Faults in a Fire Station

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
That is not the question you need to ask. Let me rephrase your question:

Is a Fire Station considered a "dwelling unit" per the NEC 100 definition, or would its sleeping areas be considered "guest rooms" or "guest suites" per NEC 210.18, so that the arc fault rules would apply to the facility?

We have debated this question before. I don't recall whether there was a concensus. My answer to the question would be "no."

construct

If it contains provisions for living, sleeping, cooking, and sanitation...it would meet the definition of a dwelling unit and would therefore require Arc fault per the version of the NEC that your jurisdiction is on. In my opinion. ;)

jap

Occupation
Electrician

Is a Fire Station considered a "dwelling unit" per the NEC 100 definition, or would its sleeping areas be considered "guest rooms" or "guest suites" per NEC 210.18, so that the arc fault rules would apply to the facility?

We have debated this question before. I don't recall whether there was a concensus. My answer to the question would be "no."

Thanks Charlie, I see where it could be argued 1 way or the other but was needing a quick perspective until I had time to dig into it further.

JAP.

Gregg Harris

Occupation
Electrical,HVAC, Technical Trainer

Is there a difference in the requirements for AFCI in a dwelling and a guest room/ guest suite?

Gregg Harris

Occupation
Electrical,HVAC, Technical Trainer
No. Take a look at 210.18. It says to treat the one as though it were the other.

I was aware of the requirements being the same, pehaps I miss-understood your previous post, in asking the OP to reword the question I interpreted it to meen there was a difference between dwelling unit and guest suite/guest room.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
. . . perhaps I miss-understood your previous post, in asking the OP to reword the question I interpreted it to meen there was a difference between dwelling unit and guest suite/guest room.
No, I was just channeling my wife, the reference librarian. They get a lot of patrons that ask vague questions, in a sort of dance around the real subject of interest. They often need to "interview" the patron, in order to find out what it is that the person is really trying to find out.

In this case, the question of whether a fire station needs AFCIs really boils down to the question of whether it is classified as a dwellling unit (or perhaps a guest room/suite). If it is, then it does. If it isn't, then it doesn't. So I was trying to focus the discussion on the essential issue. Then I was trying to cut the discussion short, by inviting attention to the earlier debates on this same question. I think it does not help to repeat the same arguments. Of course, if anyone has any new perspectives to offer, that is certainly welcome. Not to pick on construct, but the response in post #3 had been posted more than once in the earlier debates.

Status
Not open for further replies.