Anyone heard from these people?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
I got a similar call at 10:30 on a Friday or Saturday night. The guy left a message, but has not returned my email. My guess is that they are getting our info. from these here forums, it is a great place to one stop shop for their target customers (us)!

641-715-3900
"Hi this is Don Hopkins, we have several single family older units that we want to have re-wired. These jobs are going to be stretched out over time... I'm going to be away for a week or so... Please email my partner Tim... tim@alcar.info ..."

Sound familiar?
Exact same number on my caller ID from last night's call, and sounds like it is exactly word for word how my message started.

kwired

Electron manager
i really doubt that this is the source of their contact information...
what is interesting to me is where they are harvesting the information from.

we are in all different states, so no commonality with state licensing agencies.
what is the common denominator here? i bet this is a much larger thing than
we are aware of.. we are talking to each other, so we know it's going on,
but i bet electrical contractors are being carpet bombed with this.

now, in calif you can harvest info from the CSLB license site, but it's tedious,
unless someone has figured an easy way to query the database....
and i'm thinking that is what is going on... the states that have license information
that can be pinged are the ones that everyone is getting hits off of.

and if you get referred to another person, in a different state, or get
relayed thru several different people, any fraud investigation would
be derailed pretty well... and if it's for less than a couple hundred bucks,
nobody's gonna bother...
All you need is a phone book listing and they have a source for what numbers to call. Other advertising just gives them more places to draw contact information from. Advertising does work against you occasionally just as easily as it works for you.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Exact same number on my caller ID from last night's call, and sounds like it is exactly word for word how my message started.

I ran a history on that number. Right now it shows a land line in IA. In 2008 the number was a Nextel batch used by telemarketing spammers.

There is no listing on Anywho. A business that does not have their phone number listed is likely a scam.

K8MHZ

Occupation
Electrician
641-715-3900 is a bogus 'platform extension' number. It's only purpose is to make a legitimate number appear on your caller ID. If you call the number back, you will be asked to enter an extension and none have been set up.

The number is probably an unused Nextel number from one of their batches.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
um, we aren't special, guys......

um, we aren't special, guys......

this is off that phone number.....

"I own a painting company in northern California and received
the same phone message regarding leads from a George Car
who will be out of town and that I should respond to
email:don@doncar.info - his brother. George's message promised
"dozens of homes to paint in my area" . I haven't responded as
it sounds fishy. My email address is rmc@sbcglobal.net"

"I run a painting company in SW Colorado, and I suspected the
contact and follow-up email I received from "George Car" was
somehow fraudulent because it sounded too good to be true
when they said they had a dozen homes they needed a painter
for. (You don't call someone out the blue for such a project, of
course!)
I was more suspicious when they wrote back describing excellent,
guaranteed terms for our compensation and specifying that we
shouldn't be worried about an extremely competitive price because
quality was the important consideration on these jobs.
Now that I see they made the same offer to a California painter,
I will not be contacting them anymore. Thank you for the information!"

"This fellow has a lot of brothers. I have a pest control business
and he want me to contact Ed Ross at Ed@EdRoss.Info. I said this is
BS and deleted the message."

"I got the same call. I don't do residential electrical either. We're in
a small town in Texas and there haven't been 10 rewires on houses
in the last 10 years here. SCAMMERS & LIARS!!!!!"

"I noticed that If I call back this number 641-715-3900 it asks me to
type in an extension. Seeing as most are invalid, So I decided to try
1125 and I'm able to leave a message. I say we flood them !!!!"

"This is a number for a website ( http://www.SimpleVoiceBox.com )
where you can get a cheap (or even free) voicemail number.
You can send and/or receive calls and/or text messages for your
business and still remain anonymous for next to nothing. Their
basic service is free. So, essentially, returning the call to complain
does very little good unless you're able to leave a message.
If you have problems, contact SimpleVioceBox and complain. be
sure to have the person's extension number. I hope this helps!!"

btw, this number has been used for this since at least 2008.

K8MHZ

Occupation
Electrician
The calls are not coming from the number on your caller ID. It's spoofed.

In order to get their real number you must answer the phone when they call. Then, make up a story about having to call them right back, it will just be a minute. If they give you the #, call back to verify it. Be polite and uninterested and end the call.

Now you have their real # and can have some fun with it.

K8MHZ

Occupation
Electrician
Once you get their real phone number, use fire to fight fire. Turnabout is fair play, you know.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caller_ID_spoofing

http://www.spoofcard.com/

http://freecalleridspoofing.com/

That is just the tip of the iceberg.

A bunch of people could get together and spend several hours at the same time entering the 'real' number into website info request forms.

And then there are fake ads with that number to only call between 3am and 6am......

Also, entering the real number on whocalled.us will give the owner some real heartburn.

K8MHZ

Occupation
Electrician
ohoh... i thought i was the only one here damaged enough to
think like this.....

I have been doing it for years. I hate telemarketers. Back in the day when there were phone booths one person could do a very effective denial of service attack on a mult-line system. The call back #s scammers use are always toll free. They are sold in blocks, typically of 8 or so, giving 8 lines to the same #. All that needs to be done is to call the toll free number from a phone booth and once they answer, leave the phone off the hook. Then, go to another booth and do the same thing. Do this over and over. Once you have done this with all their lines you will get a busy signal. Do a couple more to verify that the busy signal is there to stay.

Viola! They are out of business until a phone or two gets hung up.

And I'm not even posting the dirty stuff.

kwired

Electron manager
I have been doing it for years. I hate telemarketers. Back in the day when there were phone booths one person could do a very effective denial of service attack on a mult-line system. The call back #s scammers use are always toll free. They are sold in blocks, typically of 8 or so, giving 8 lines to the same #. All that needs to be done is to call the toll free number from a phone booth and once they answer, leave the phone off the hook. Then, go to another booth and do the same thing. Do this over and over. Once you have done this with all their lines you will get a busy signal. Do a couple more to verify that the busy signal is there to stay.

Viola! They are out of business until a phone or two gets hung up.

And I'm not even posting the dirty stuff.

If nobody is there to talk to they will eventually disconnect the call. Does not matter if calling party left phone off the hook or not once the call is disconnected their end is open again for other calls. If anything you are running up their phone bill by making the calls since the tolls are paid by the receiving party.

If the number is spoofed, the real owner of the call back number could be some poor SOB that wonders why he keeps getting calls from random people and none of them seem too happy with him.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
They have been busy, I see. I think part of the scam is to get us eager, with the thought of good money, a lot up front, etc. I see a pattern in delayed responses, "make him sweat". The voice mail I got sounded pretty normal. I emailed as he said. Got a reply in about 10 days. I emailed as this guy said. Another 10 day wait. I'm sure this one will be too. They want me eager when they spring up with a catch.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
If we could think of a collective scam on them, I'm all for it. I have tormented telemarketers for years, probably driven a few to the padded cell.

GUNNING

3900# ask for stu

3900# ask for stu

THEY CALLED ME?!?! ? I feel so special.
ok got another extension number 3900#
Stu answers.
spam away.

maybe we can get them to spam themselves.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
If we could think of a collective scam on them, I'm all for it. I have tormented telemarketers for years, probably driven a few to the padded cell.

out of respect for both mike holt, and the cat herders who try to keep this thing pointed straight.....
perhaps we might take this out to the parking lot..... there is a MH's Chat on skype... sent me a friend request
to FulThrotl and i'll add you to the chat, and we can quietly discuss this amongst ourselves......

and while we are at it, maybe we can figure out how do unhook US Pharmacy... i got two calls this afternoon,
and i was working in a church, and couldn't swear, or nuffin..... it was hard on me.

K8MHZ

Occupation
Electrician
out of respect for both mike holt, and the cat herders who try to keep this thing pointed straight.....
perhaps we might take this out to the parking lot..... there is a MH's Chat on skype... sent me a friend request
to FulThrotl and i'll add you to the chat, and we can quietly discuss this amongst ourselves......

and while we are at it, maybe we can figure out how do unhook US Pharmacy... i got two calls this afternoon,
and i was working in a church, and couldn't swear, or nuffin..... it was hard on me.

That must have been rough. We were tormented, along with a friend of mine, from pharmacy calls. From another country that shall be left unamed but is now kind of without electricity.

You can say things about farm animals to them that will get them screaming into the phone. I won't elaborate. But not fit for anyone in a church to overhear.

I don't do skype.

There is a comedian that has some CDs he has done doing telemarketer torturting on. It's hilarious. I can't remember his name.

I know enough about the TX system to have my numbers on the verbotten list. I have had two calls in 10 years and both were from the same company and they were getting numbers from Craig's list where I have a Harley for sale.

So, I changed my add and added a link to their BBB page. 681 complaints in 3 years.

I have yet to recieve a third call. Go figure.

tshea

Does this look familiar?

Does this look familiar?

Concerning your email below, Don was referring to several houses that will need wiring per a project we work with. Our primary job at the moment is to select the electrical contractor to be used. Before final questions can be addressed, it is going to be important for you to have a brief conversation with one of the principles involved so you can both eliminate any questions on either side. That would also be the time and place to address any questions that may come up. Not with me at this time. In the meantime, let me bring you up to date on where it stands at the moment so you can be prepared. After that, I should pass you up to the person you really need to discuss this with. The following are the main points I think you should be aware of before you both speak: There should be 12 to 21 single-family units over the year that should have electrical work done. There also could be more each year over the next five years if the initial units are handled properly. We?re considering the following proposed arrangement: Two thirds of the money down in advance before the job is started, half the balance the day the job starts and the final amount upon the day of completion. Do not be concerned with the job prices on your end needing to be too low or the cheapest. Quality is preferred over discounts or lowest prices. For this reason, do not approach this with discounts or reduced costs. Approach from quality results.

The circumstance around these jobs is unusual so you should be aware of some things before deciding to consider them. We?re working with two partners that manage a large project which covers housing expenses for term workers brought in for their project and the project itself controls and manages the units however the individual worker/tenant will be doing an upgrade on the unit per their mutual agreement. The upgrade involved is the electrical work. The project requires this work done by the occupant-worker within a certain time frame. A program to assist with the initial two thirds before the work begins is being considered for possibly one quarter to a third of the tenants who may need help to comply financially before the time-frame deadline. That program would advance up to two thirds to the electrical contractor for the project, based on a formal estimate from the contractor. The occupant would cover the balance. That program would be repaid later directly from the principles who also own the units and in turn would collect from the occupant later. If it is decided by all parties that this program solves the issue, both the project and the electrical contractor would have to be registered with the program in order to receive the payments up front by either direct deposit or check, per the choice of the electrical contractor who would be receiving the money directly from that program based on the written estimate supplied. The other occupants not using the above mentioned program would pay in full in the manner as would any normal resident of the unit.

For the above reasons, this divides the houses into two groups from our position:

1. Those where the worker/tenant will cover the entire cost out of pocket with two thirds down.
2. Those who will need the assistance arrangement, which again could be one quarter to a third of those involved. From your standpoint, you are paid on all of them with two thirds to seventy percent up front and balance as explained earlier.

Conclusion: If we want the rights or access to service the group using assistance as well as the others, you need to consider the points I outlined above. If we don?t want to consider the second group or in essence you do not want to consider them because of the suggested program involved, then on our side we must determine what we are going to do about them with perhaps another direction. The project would like to have one contractor for all but if you have a problem with it, we may have to go to a different arrangement.

Overall, there appears to be work available over the next 5 years as I mentioned earlier however, the jobs would certainly be spaced out over time so it wouldn?t disrupt your current workload. If you see that there is any issue at this point that would be a problem with any of this on your side, please do not follow up with us any further at this moment. It would only be a waste of time for both sides. However, if you do wish to pursue this further, please do the following: Contact the principles that control the management of the units and let them know that I have sent you to them and who you are. There are three partners however, you should only contact the one that is handling the initial setup on this project. That would be Van Telman and you should email him first at van@jordan-franks.com before trying to speak. In the subject line of the email to Van, put ?Electrical work? and nothing else so he knows right away what this concerns. In the email itself, let him know who you are and that I sent you over to him.

Caution - Do not approach anyone else on this initially other than Van or it may appear to all of them that you are trying to go around him to someone else and that would likely cause them to tell us all to forget it on the basis we are not even following their initial requests before you even do the jobs. There is five years of work involved later on aside from what we have in hand. For this purpose, the partners are very concerned about keeping things simple with proper contacts and procedures used in order to keep organized on their side. We certainly don?t want to show that we can?t handle things properly or as requested.

Once again, if you feel this is not something you can handle, please do not respond. If we don?t hear from you we will automatically assume you want to pass on this one. There will be no purpose to contact me back on this either way because I will be out of the loop on this once you contact Van.

Thank you for offering your services.

Tim Connors

Status
Not open for further replies.