Cord Drop Product Detail

Status
Not open for further replies.

ron

I am in need of a cord drop detail. This is very different for me in my work, but I know it is typical in the industrial market.

In the data center market, we typically put receptacles below the raised floor mounted to pedestals or strut, or overhead plug-in busway or fixed mounted receptacles to tray or strut. This situation requires several female receptacle to be routed into IT racks for connection to various IT equipment and the density / quantity of plugs is more than plug-in busway can support.

Is there a product model that is specific to this application or does it have to be a custom FS box detail with strain relief etc.

iwire

Staff member
I am in need of a cord drop detail. This is very different for me in my work, but I know it is typical in the industrial market.

In the data center market, we typically put receptacles below the raised floor mounted to pedestals or strut, or overhead plug-in busway or fixed mounted receptacles to tray or strut. This situation requires several female receptacle to be routed into IT racks for connection to various IT equipment and the density / quantity of plugs is more than plug-in busway can support.

Is there a product model that is specific to this application or does it have to be a custom FS box detail with strain relief etc.

Just a few drops or a lot?

If a lot ........ http://www.uecorp.com/busway/default.aspx

iwire

Staff member
Thanks. That was my initial thought, but I need more drops per IT rack than the Starline, PDI, etc allow in the footprint of a rack.

Than perhaps wireway with cord drops hanging from that, you could pack the cords very densely but you will run into derating issues with the conductors in the raceway. You may need to keep the wireway run somewhat short to limit the current carrying conductors in each wireway. Each wireway would need multiple home run conduits.

iwire

Staff member
A recent project we did each rack received one 20 amp, 208/120 volt circuit via a NEMA L21-20 receptacle that supplied a slick plug strip from APC.

How many circuits per rack did you need?

ron

A recent project we did each rack received one 20 amp, 208/120 volt circuit via a NEMA L21-20 receptacle that supplied a slick plug strip from APC.

How many circuits per rack did you need?

This is a hodge poge of existing servers (sum are several years old) that the client put into racks that fit. The power density is low, but the standardized plugs for the servers are sized for a more advanced build out than they use. Some racks will have (4) 50A-3P and (2) 20A-2P, 208V where half are 'A' cords and the other are 'B' cords.

CFD analysis shows that the HVAC guys can get rid of the heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.