PANEL BACKBOX BEING REMOVED

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
If a panel is being removed and the extg feeder to that panel will remain place and re-used for a new panel in that exact location do you just remove the conduit connector, locktnut etc. and then the back box can be removed? THis would be for a 2 1/2 EMT with compression fitting. WOuld the conduit have to be moved at all to get the backbox out and a new backbox in the same place? Thanks. Hope I made sense.:ashamed1:

jumper

Short answer- swapping out a panel with existing conduits usually involves a fair bit of work.

You not only have the feeder pipes, but also all the branch circuits. Stuff rarely lines up easily.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
If a panel is being removed and the extg feeder to that panel will remain place and re-used for a new panel in that exact location do you just remove the conduit connector, locktnut etc. and then the back box can be removed? THis would be for a 2 1/2 EMT with compression fitting. WOuld the conduit have to be moved at all to get the backbox out and a new backbox in the same place? Thanks. Hope I made sense.:ashamed1:

You probably would have to at least loosen some of the conduit clamps/fittings to allow the conduits to be raised/lowered in order to "free" the panel.

Often times if a different panel is going back in the same location as the one being removed, it is easier to get a panel without knock-outs.
Then make a template from the old panel and make you're own holes in the new panel.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
You probably would have to at least loosen some of the conduit clamps/fittings to allow the conduits to be raised/lowered in order to "free" the panel.

Often times if a different panel is going back in the same location as the one being removed, it is easier to get a panel without knock-outs.
Then make a template from the old panel and make you're own holes in the new panel.

GREAT INFO..THANKS.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Short answer- swapping out a panel with existing conduits usually involves a fair bit of work.

You not only have the feeder pipes, but also all the branch circuits. Stuff rarely lines up easily.

I'm aware, but I'm just talking about the feeder being intalled & removed without any homeruns or branmch circuits landed. Thanks.

I'm aware, but I'm just talking about the feeder being intalled & removed without any homeruns or branmch circuits landed. Thanks.

If only one conduit involved or multiple ones all entering on the same side of the box and no other obstructions on the remaning sides, it should be relatively easy. In the case of multiple conduits the knockout pattern should be the same. You would also need to have the bakc-box listed for/with the guts to remain listing compliant.

Status
Not open for further replies.