ENT and LFNC flexibility

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark32

I was wondering which has more flexibility, ENT or non metallic liquid tight. I have a rather tight offset I need to make in a pvc run. Thanks in advance.

GerryB

I would say the sealtite. I hope you are talking a small size though. One time I tried to get fancy with 2" in a PVC run and I still couldn't make the offset.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I was wondering which has more flexibility, ENT or non metallic liquid tight. I have a rather tight offset I need to make in a pvc run. Thanks in advance.
The minimum permitted bend radius is the same for both products. The .24 sections of Articles 356 and 362 both refer you to Chapter 9, Table 2 for the minimum permitted bend radius.

mark32

The minimum permitted bend radius is the same for both products. The .24 sections of Articles 356 and 362 both refer you to Chapter 9, Table 2 for the minimum permitted bend radius.

Doh, I didn't catch that Don. Gerry, what did you end up doing since you couldn't make that offset happen? This is 1 1/4" I'm working with.

GerryB

Doh, I didn't catch that Don. Gerry, what did you end up doing since you couldn't make that offset happen? This is 1 1/4" I'm working with.

I wound up using factory 45's, came out farther over then I wanted to. I should get a hot box or a blanket but I don't need it too often. Maybe the 1 1/4 is more flexible

fmtjfw

ENT has the advantage that it can be used directly with the PVC fittings. To place a portion of ENT in a PVC run you just use the PVC couplings (or the bell ends found on PVC) and glue the ENT into them. The corrugated interior of the ENT can make pulling harder, especially through bends (harder than through PVC). The minimum radius of ENT bends is the same as PVC bends.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
ENT has the advantage that it can be used directly with the PVC fittings. To place a portion of ENT in a PVC run you just use the PVC couplings (or the bell ends found on PVC) and glue theENT into them. The corrugated interior of the ENT can make pulling harder, especially through bends (harder than through PVC). The minimum radius of ENT bends is the same as PVC bends.

my experience with ENT is that it pulls easier, and is easier to blow string thru.

it'll bend in a tighter radius without flattening than anything else. you are still
constrained by the minimum bending radius in the code for the conduit size
you are using.... but it'll bend a LOT tighter than that.... :angel:

last week, i put 10' of 2" smurf in a mantle for the flat screen over the fireplace,
and it had a shwoop and a ninety, while fitting thru the bulkheads in the mantle.
it was for AV cables, and the shwoop was probably a 4" radius. i notched the 3x4
flyer above the fireplace, got the thing with 3' sticking out of the mantle for some
leverage, and bent it double while 4 folks put the mantle up.... (large mantle)
got it in place, sliced it flush with the drywall, and put a couple large head screws
thru it to hold it in place, and patched the drywall.

it's almost impossible to kink it.

mark32

my experience with ENT is that it pulls easier, and is easier to blow string thru.

it'll bend in a tighter radius without flattening than anything else. you are still
constrained by the minimum bending radius in the code for the conduit size
you are using.... but it'll bend a LOT tighter than that.... :angel:

last week, i put 10' of 2" smurf in a mantle for the flat screen over the fireplace,
and it had a shwoop and a ninety, while fitting thru the bulkheads in the mantle.
it was for AV cables, and the shwoop was probably a 4" radius. i notched the 3x4
flyer above the fireplace, got the thing with 3' sticking out of the mantle for some
leverage, and bent it double while 4 folks put the mantle up.... (large mantle)
got it in place, sliced it flush with the drywall, and put a couple large head screws
thru it to hold it in place, and patched the drywall.

it's almost impossible to kink it.

Sweeet! Thanks for the heads up fellows, I've never use ENT before but looks like I will be shortly.

JJWalecka

I hope that you will be able to pull through such a tight bend. In a perfect world I prefer rigid conduit 90's or long sweeping bends of PVC, obviously.
Seen too many ropes/strings cut through the inside of a bend making it impossible to pull through.
Please let me know how it works out for ya.

mark32

I hope that you will be able to pull through such a tight bend. In a perfect world I prefer rigid conduit 90's or long sweeping bends of PVC, obviously.
Seen too many ropes/strings cut through the inside of a bend making it impossible to pull through.

I don't think it's THAT tight of an offset. Initially I heated up a piece of 1 1/4 and stuck it in position but it kinked up on me and I didn't have the time or patience to fool with it at the time. I'll post a pic when it's done.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~

lotta folks use GRC 90's for exactly that reason...
i'm a huge fan of muletape.... it doesn't cut thru plastic at all....
and muletape is cheaper than 3 or 4 two inch grc 90's.....

mark32

So I did end up using the ENT and it turns out I really like the stuff, here are some pics. By the way, the blue 1 1/4 ENT bent very nicely into place while the 1" grey piece was a little kinky, not sure if it was the same brand or not, I didn't check.

Attachments

• IMG_1952.jpg
    IMG_1952.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1954.jpg
    IMG_1954.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 1
Status
Not open for further replies.