Mysteriour Gaarage Doors

Status
Not open for further replies.

dema

I got a call on a job saying that every time the power goes out, all seven garage door fuses blow. These openers are a new design from Overhead Doors. When the controls see an overvoltage, they cause the fuse to blow. During the first 6 months after commissioning, this small town had at least 4 outages including a direct lightning strike that toasted a pole mounted transformer in the field next door and took out one phase of the surge suppressor with no other damage to the building. Three of the outages were due to the local utility and one was due to Duke who provides their power for distribution locally. Several were single phase conditions.

The facility has a generator. It is the fastest starting generator I have ever seen.

The power system is 240V open delta. Voltage on A to neutral and C to neutral is 122V. B is 212V to system neutral. The garage doors were initially wired 240V. No neutral. The first attempt at a solution was to rewire them 120V and made sure they were all on A or C, some on each. Voltage was verified as being 120V on each source. The power went out. All the fuses went out. The power goes out a lot.

These control fuses blow whether all phases go out or whether the A-C phase goes out. (I don't know if the B transformer is BC or BA so I will just call it B). Doesn't matter whether it is Duke or something local. Doesn't matter if it is very short or very long. Every time those 7 fuses go out and nothing else goes out in the whole building. So, I thought maybe there is a utility capacitor switching surge when the power comes back on. Sure enough - a capacitor six blocks away.

I told them I bet $50 that if they pulled the power on the local pole, that the fuses would be okay. Thank God nobody took my bet. They pulled the A-C disconnect on the pole, the generator came on and all 7 fuses went out. We replaced one fuse - these fuses are 30' up - and opened the generator breaker and tried again. Thought maybe the generator was coming on so fast that it was causing issues. Fuse went out. Maybe the circuit board didn't like any outage. Opened the breaker. Closed the breaker. The fuse was fine. Opened the main, closed the main - fuse still fine. Maybe a switching surge? Opened just the B disconnect. Fuses were fine.

The theory of the moment is that the boards are super sensitive to transients of any kind on A-C and that putting a time delay on them so that they come on after the power has been restored is going to solve the problem.

Has anybody seen anything like this? And what do you think of the problem and solution?

Additional facts: power outages have occurred at night when nothing was on. Today was a beautiful day and the HVAC should not have been on. There is one three phase load, a compressor, and it has not been on. At night, the only thing on are three security lights - the fuses still go. These are control fuses. The garage doors are not operating when they blow in general.

ceb58

Some rental places have recorders that they rent or you may get the local poco to put a recording meter on the service to see if you are getting surges. The time delay relays may be the way to go but you need all the information you can get.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
So if you turn off the circuit I bet the fuse does not blow. Could it be the generator is blowing the fuse when it comes on? or is that what you are saying?

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
Continuing along Dennis' thinking, if you isolate the genset from coming on line can you open and close the main without blowing fuses? If so, is it possible that your high leg from the genset is not where you think it is?

dema

Genset

Genset

We pulled the A-C disconnect on the pole both with the genset online and with the genset offline. The garage door control fuses blew both times. But when we open the circuit breakers, the fuses do not blow.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
You say generator off line, Does the transfer switch still transfer even though the generator will not come on? Have you disabled the transfer switch from switching when the fuses are pulled?

dema

I imagine it is when it is reconnected. It is after the power has been restored that the fuses are discovered. They are 30' up. Nobody has looked at them before they tried the garage doors and the garage doors didn't work.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I imagine it is when it is reconnected. It is after the power has been restored that the fuses are discovered. They are 30' up. Nobody has looked at them before they tried the garage doors and the garage doors didn't work.
There seems to be a spike when the circuit is energized-- that must be what it is sensing.

kwired

Electron manager
Maybe I missed it, is this fuse for the main power circuit or just for control circuit?

I am guessing it is a control fuse, and may have its protection level designed too close to normal operating conditions, if on supply side of control transformer it may not be sized to handle inrush current when energized or something of that nature.
If this is a new design by the manufacturer I would get them involved - they may have design issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.