H.I. woes

Status
Not open for further replies.

renosteinke

Let's not get into bath vent fans ... another trade, and another place where code compliance is more the exception than the rule.

IRC says the fan must vent to the outside - so out the roof or through the wall is OK. Simply poking the hose out an attic vent is not OK. There are some clearance rules regarding attic vents.

Likewise, there are CFM rules and calculations regarding the exhaust ducting. Your typical 'cheap' fart fan is good for only about 3-ft of run with one 90, or it won't deliverthe required cfm.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
Let's not get into bath vent fans ... another trade, and another place where code compliance is more the exception than the rule.

IRC says the fan must vent to the outside - so out the roof or through the wall is OK. Simply poking the hose out an attic vent is not OK. There are some clearance rules regarding attic vents.

Likewise, there are CFM rules and calculations regarding the exhaust ducting. Your typical 'cheap' fart fan is good for only about 3-ft of run with one 90, or it won't deliverthe required cfm.

Sooooo. If the run was say 12' should I refuse to wire the fan?

renosteinke

That's your call. If the inspector is on the ball, somebody's going to have to deal with the rejection. If the venting is inadequate, the customer is going to suffer.

Of course, you might want to actually read the code and do the actual calculations before you go stepping on your own (pride). The inspector, and the other trades, are perfectly correct if they ask "who the heck is this Reno guy?"

Of course, it's an ethical issue. Inagine your job was pumping gas. Would you fill the tank if you knew they were going off to rob a bank? What if you knew they were just going to speed a little?

Thanks for all the responses

Thanks for all the responses

Good to know that the 2008 was the first cycle to require the simultaneous disconnect.

just to (try to) clear up a few things.

It is absolutely a MWBC......I wired it.

The HI told the realtor and prospective buyer that if they plugged thier washing machine or coffee pot into the respective receptacles it would fry the machines (because of the DP breaker).

I have no animosity towards HI's....they provide a service.

I think it's a positive thing that buyers and sellers get SUGGESTIONS that GFCI's are safer in areas where they would be presently required, it is a good thing when they point out open air splices in the basement, uncovered JB's, broken receptacles, etc, etc.

In this case, the HI absolutely over stepped his boundaries.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
The HI told the realtor and prospective buyer that if they plugged thier washing machine or coffee pot into the respective receptacles it would fry the machines (because of the DP breaker).

In this case, the HI absolutely over stepped his boundaries.
And with that being the case I agree with you.

Roger

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I do not agree with that.

They are not code inspectors, they are home inspectors. Their job is to let the buyer know about the home. Some buyers might want to know the old house they are buying does not have GFCIS where now required, or has no EGCs at the outlets etc.

Now on the other hand if the HI claims these are required to be corrected that is a diffrent thing.

Yeah, this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.