Lithonia RTLED fixture ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

kgk1961

I was reading an article this weekend in the Electrical Contractor Magazine reviewing LED fixtures. I believe it was the April 2012 issue. The article referenced a couple of troffers that Lithonia was producing that limited the output of the LED when it was new, and adjusted the lighting output overtime to provide consistent lighting output over the life of the fixture. I believe the part numbers for these were RTLED and VTLED.

Does anyone have any experience with these fixtures?

shamsdebout

We do a lot of state work. Most LED fixtures especially trofffers get VE'd out. So now I have no experience with them. Was that the EC&M magazine or another one?

TNBaer

Funny you mention it...I saw some today. They looked good. You couldn't tell the difference between them and T8...which is the problem. Why spend the extra cash on something that is not superior to a time tested, reliable, and inexpensive constant in the field? And if Lithonia underdrives the LEDs at first doesn't that mean the fixture becomes less efficient with time? It'd have to use more power to continue to achieve day zero light output.

Here's my beef with LED, and I sell a bunch of it; I find that rarely is it better than what is already available. I guess people could complain about the mercury in fluorescent, that's a legit concern. Otherwise, LED's rated life isn't longer. It's CRI is not nearly as good. It's track record is less than stellar, I've seen failures right out of the gates and nothing but issues with either the lamp or driver. Here's a bit on LED via the NYTimes http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/02/11/how-long-did-you-say-that-bulb-will-last/ .

Where do you buy a replacement driver? Is your local Rexel stocking them? Again, I sell a lot of LED, but I still have hefty reservations. T8's track record is unbelievably good. Lumens per watt are fantastic. Glare is low. It's cheap. Failures are minimal as these things go.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Yes, lithonia has the RTLED and the VTLED which is very similar, mostly just a different look.

I'm putting a lot of the VTLED's in classrooms, but they aren't installed yet.

The reduced output should be OK, but you have to do your lighting calculations with a loss factor of 80% (which is about the same loss factor I use for fluorescent.)

The controls are awesome - connect everything (lights, switches, sensors, gateway to computer system) with Cat 5 and you have a very flexible and adaptable system.

I'm putting a lot of the VTLED's in classrooms, but they aren't installed yet.

The reduced output should be OK, but you have to do your lighting calculations with a loss factor of 80% (which is about the same loss factor I use for fluorescent.)

The controls are awesome - connect everything (lights, switches, sensors, gateway to computer system) with Cat 5 and you have a very flexible and adaptable system.

Which system is that? Redwood?

Status
Not open for further replies.