are these line voltage recessed LED lights NEC legal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

michelevit

I came across these simple LED lights and was wondering if they are code compliant. My main concern is how the connection can be made. Most recessed lights I have seen have some simple small metal box directly attached to it where the connection to romex can be made to the fixture using wire nuts. My big concern is that even if the connection is made in a box, the pigtails are still not protected.

here is a link to the light i am researching.

http://dx.com/p/3w-6500k-280-lumen-3...-73822?item=88

or
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2PCS-3W-Power-LED-Recessed-Ceiling-Down-Bulb-Spot-White-Light-Lamp-85-260V-/271063386834?_trksid=p5197.m1997&_trkparms=aid%3D2 22002%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D16%26meid% 3D2180309209061299956%26pid%3D100016%26prg%3D1006% 26rk%3D3%26sd%3D221126138399%26

Thanks in advance.

97catintenn

You are correct. The fixture wires have to be enclosed/protected.

402.10 Uses Permitted. Fixture wires shall be permitted
(1) for installation in luminaires and in similar equipment
where enclosed or protected and not subject to bending or
twisting in use, or (2) for connecting luminaires to the
branch-circuit conductors supplying the luminaires.

97catintenn

I think I misspoke.

402.10(2) reads: Fixture wires shall be permitted for connecting luminaires to the

So, being protected from damage doesn't matter.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
I think I misspoke.

402.10(2) reads: Fixture wires shall be permitted for connecting luminaires to the

So, being protected from damage doesn't matter.

But that wouldn't apply to the stripped and separated ends of the romex.

I agree with your first thought - its not allowed.

IMO, these aren't light fixtures - they are parts that a manufacturer could use to design a complete light fixture. THey could then obtain a listing on that "complete fixture", assuming it meets all the listing requirements.

IMO, the description on the first listing calling it a "ceiling light" is completely incorrect.

97catintenn

I'm confused about it.

If it's not a fixture, then it's a luminaire. So, if I use 402.10(2) and install a seperate JB for making the connections, the fixture wire doesn't need to be protected.

I don't understand how you determine if 402.10(1) applies or (2).

.............quote: But that wouldn't apply to the stripped and separated ends of the romex.
install a separate JB for the connections and leave the fixture wire exposed.

haskindm

Are they listed? 410.6 requires all luminaires and lampholders to be listed. If they are listed, then the AHJ will usually approve them in accordance with the listing.

haskindm

Was just able to follow your link. That is not a luminaire, it is a lamp. I believe you will find that they are not listed as a luminaire and thus do not meet 410.6 and thus cannot be installed in an NEC Compliant manner.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
These are retrofit kits.

We had this discussion awhile back when I ran into some on a job. The fixture manufacturers say that they void their UL listing and if you are in CA they are not recognized by the CEC.

Got back just in time to edit. I may have spoken a little to quick on this. If ACRW10 can jump in, he and I had a few chat's regarding retro fit trims and he may be able to give you some more information. If I remember, Dan jump in any time, we both thought we knew the correct answer, but I believe that we were mistaken.

Last edited:

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
The UL listing that I had looked into was on "Retro-fit" LED trims for recessed lights. The ones I was mainly looking at was the CR-6 sold at Home Depot, the same listing requirements should apply to these. The main issue was the light needs to be listed as a "Retro-fit" for recessed housings, and should be supplied with a lable to attach to the housing and insulation piercing taps (your supposed to cut off the Edison base socket). If the kit is UL listed as a retro fit, then they do not void the UL listing of the housings testing and listing. I did see a house where they had used these same trims (in the OP) and used yellow wire nuts inside the housing (not the J box) and they could not provide any installation instructions or listing information on them so I wouldn't sign off on them.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
The UL listing that I had looked into was on "Retro-fit" LED trims for recessed lights. The ones I was mainly looking at was the CR-6 sold at Home Depot, the same listing requirements should apply to these. The main issue was the light needs to be listed as a "Retro-fit" for recessed housings, and should be supplied with a lable to attach to the housing and insulation piercing taps (your supposed to cut off the Edison base socket). If the kit is UL listed as a retro fit, then they do not void the UL listing of the housings testing and listing. I did see a house where they had used these same trims (in the OP) and used yellow wire nuts inside the housing (not the J box) and they could not provide any installation instructions or listing information on them so I wouldn't sign off on them.

After I looked back on our chats, I was also told that if it's a UL listed can then it must be a UL listed kit and if it's an ETL listed can it must be an ETL listed kit.

Status
Not open for further replies.