Wall oven direct wired

Status
Not open for further replies.

aftershock

Mfg spec calls for connection to junction box. No means to disco within sight. Would breaker lock at panel suffice? Residential single phase.

dicklaxt

I guess I have led a sheltered life,,,,,,yeah right :) but I have never seen a wall oven> or are we saying its the same as a framed cabinet installed oven?

I envision an oven door,controls and frame being basicly flush with the wall surface,is that what we are dealing with here? It kinda makes a guy wonder where the oven is,does it project into an attic space,crawl space,closet ,chase, etc etc etc.

dick

aftershock

I guess I have led a sheltered life,,,,,,yeah right :) but I have never seen a wall oven> or are we saying its the same as a framed cabinet installed oven?

I envision an oven door,controls and frame being basicly flush with the wall surface,is that what we are dealing with here? It kinda makes a guy wonder where the oven is,does it project into an attic space,crawl space,closet ,chase, etc etc etc.

dick

Framed opening. Oven slides in and is secured in place.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
Cool. Now I need to know what code section I can use to back that up. Got my final on a job today but insp says I can't do it that way and wanted me to show him in the code. I could not find it. 2002 cycle.

That is NOT how it works. The inspector has to show you the violation in the book.

How do you prove something not prohibited?

aftershock

If the mfg specs call for the oven to be connected to the junction box, then by code I should follow those directions?
The inspectors here want a cord and plug, but would that possibly void a warranty? I used to cord and plug everyone I wired until this forum taught me to start reading mfg specs. On the same token we are expected to cord and plug air handlers and water heaters as well and I fell that is not correct either.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
If the mfg specs call for the oven to be connected to the junction box, then by code I should follow those directions?
The inspectors here want a cord and plug, but would that possibly void a warranty? I used to cord and plug everyone I wired until this forum taught me to start reading mfg specs. On the same token we are expected to cord and plug air handlers and water heaters as well and I fell that is not correct either.

Doesn't have a pigtail?

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
in 2008 cycle wall mounted oven are permited to be hard wire as per 422.16(B)(3)

(3) Wall-Mounted Ovens and Counter-Mounted Cooking
Units. Wall-mounted ovens and counter-mounted cooking
units complete with provisions for mounting and for
making electrical connections shall be permitted to be permanently
connected or, only for ease in servicing or for
installation, cord-and-plug-connected.

A separable connector or a plug and receptacle combination
in the supply line to an oven or cooking unit shall be
approved for the temperature of the space in which it is
located.

Status
Not open for further replies.