Breaker AIC rating at different voltage

Status
Not open for further replies.

DPMin

Hello,

I was hoping for some help regarding breaker interruption ratings. GE lists the interrupting ratings of their breakers at 480V (e.g. 35kA at 480V). Is there a calculation I can use to translate that for use on a 208V system?

Thanks!

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Hello,

I was hoping for some help regarding breaker interruption ratings. GE lists the interrupting ratings of their breakers at 480V (e.g. 35kA at 480V). Is there a calculation I can use to translate that for use on a 208V system?

Thanks!
No.

AIC ratings are established as part of the 'Listing' testing for the device.

DPMin

No.

AIC ratings are established as part of the 'Listing' testing for the device.

Thanks for the reply.

Ok...then what is the proper procedure for selecting a breaker AIC rating for a voltage the manufacturer does test at? I called GE and a rep told me to "just add a little" to the 480V AIC rating to convert it to 208V...I didn't think that was particularly helpful.

templdl

Hello,

Thanks!

I'm intregues that the kaic ratins for lower voltages are not include in their catalog of directly on their breaker. You realy can't calculate them as they must be UL listed. Generally one can expect the kaic ratings to be higher than at 480.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Thanks for the reply.

Ok...then what is the proper procedure for selecting a breaker AIC rating for a voltage the manufacturer does test at? I called GE and a rep told me to "just add a little" to the 480V AIC rating to convert it to 208V...I didn't think that was particularly helpful.

Find a better rep.

There is no official fudge factor.
You might assume that the 'lower voltage AIC' will be at least the same as the 'higher voltage AIC', but I might not.

zog

Thanks for the reply.

Wow! He really said that?

What is the breaker type or catalog #?

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Find a better rep.

No kidding... this guy is a nincompoop. I don't know of any 480V rated breaker that will not have a 240V AIC rating as well. For 208V they sometimes do say to increase it by 10% ,althoughg most just say to use the 240V rating, it's usually plenty high enough.

What you might find is breakers that have a rating at 240V but not at 480V, because the breakers themselves are not rated for 480V, so having an IC rating at that voltage is a moot point. But it never works the other way, if a breaker is rated for 480V (or more likely 600V), it is rated for anything below that, and the UL listing will specify the kAIC rating at all possible nominal voltages.

Interrupting capacity is based on the energy in the fault, so as the voltage goes down, the IC rating of the breaker goes up. For example I'm looking at some C-H breakers that are rated 35kAIC at 480V, and 85kAIC at 240V, I seriously doubt that GE makes their breakers any differently where that is concerned. So it's possible to interpret his missive as "not untrue", but he was being a lazy ass. All he would have to do is open a freaking catalog.

DPMin

Wow! He really said that?

What is the breaker type or catalog #?

The GE catalog number is SGHH36AT0600, which is listed as 35kACI @ 480V (that's the only voltage listing I see in the catalog). I need at least 42kAIC @ 208V, which I'm pretty sure this breaker would give me, but I prefer to have data to back that up.

They have a different catalog number for a breaker with 65kAIC @ 240V, which would certainly work for in this application, but it doesn't seem to be readily available, which is why I was wondering if I could go with the "35kAIC @ 480V" version.

Thanks for the input everyone - I may try calling GE again and hope for a different rep!

Status
Not open for further replies.