Wall oven direct wired

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cavie

Don't most ovens have an off switch or button? Wouldn't that suffice?

NO, must disconnect all current carrying conductors. on/off sw is a control circuit device. Lock out must be permanent type. Usually held in place by the panel cover. Screw on type not allowed.

aftershock

NO, must disconnect all current carrying conductors. on/off sw is a control circuit device. Lock out must be permanent type. Usually held in place by the panel cover. Screw on type not allowed.

I used the screw type. Thought that would be good enough. Guess I'm gonna go back to cord and plug on these ovens. Less hassle.

kwired

Electron manager
Greenfield ready to accept a cord cap or direct wired.
I have never seen an oven or cooktop that was not like what you described.

I used the screw type. Thought that would be good enough. Guess I'm gonna go back to cord and plug on these ovens. Less hassle.

Last sentence in 2011 422.31(B):The provision for locking or adding a lock to the disconnecting means shall be installed on or at the switch or circuit breaker used as the disconnecting means and shall remain in place with or without the lock installed.

That sentence was not in the 2002 - I think was added in 2008, I think that was the intent way back then but it was not worded clearly enough and that is the reason we have the current wording.

If you are on 2002 code all it says is:
the branch-circuit switch or circuit breaker shall be permitted to serve as the disconnecting means where the switch or circuit breaker is within sight from the appliance or is capable of being locked in the open position.

It is still 422.31(B)

Cavie

No your not. It is not listed for cord and plug. Your gonna install a disconect behind the bottom drawer or a lockout on the panel.

Cavie

It's not listed for a cord. Just install a 60a no fuse breaker type disconect and move on to something more important.

Last edited:

cpinetree

Breaker lock is the quickest

Breaker lock is the quickest

It is by far, much faster and less expensive to put a padlock breaker lockout on at the panel. All of the breaker manufacturers have them and most are less than $5.00.

A non fuse disconnect is more expensive, as well as you likely have to contort your body to mount it in the cabinet. Not to mention there will be no working clearance if your local inspector chooses to enforce it.

Status
Not open for further replies.