Overheating because of no backpressure

Status
Not open for further replies.

gxo113

I have a similar issue with a 4 HP Regenerative blower that blows out of a threaded port into pipe to an open area to clean a space. I have an inlet threaded port for air and a threaded outlet port for air. I need to introduce back pressure to reduce my load. I can't replace it with a VFD controlled motor. What is the best way to restrict the outlet air flow? Add a BPCV?

kwired

Electron manager
Have very little details of what you have, I am assuming you have a blower that is overloading the motor driving it because of too much flow.

Any restriction you can dream of will help, and it can even be in the inlet. Pressure is not what loads the blower, volume of air moved is what loads the blower. A restriction in the inlet or the outlet will reduce the amount of volume permitted to flow.

If used for cleaning by blowing debris you probably want the restriction in the outlet - should result in more pressure for blowing the debris, a restriction in the inlet will probably mean less pressure at the outlet.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Have very little details of what you have, I am assuming you have a blower that is overloading the motor driving it because of too much flow.

Any restriction you can dream of will help, and it can even be in the inlet. Pressure is not what loads the blower, volume of air moved is what loads the blower. A restriction in the inlet or the outlet will reduce the amount of volume permitted to flow.

If used for cleaning by blowing debris you probably want the restriction in the outlet - should result in more pressure for blowing the debris, a restriction in the inlet will probably mean less pressure at the outlet.
Well stated.

A VFD will also serve to reduce the flow and thus the load, but as kwired implied, the overall success of that depends on the task. If it is a parts blowout operation, an outlet restriction and more pressure in the air stream may be a better choice as he said.

Status
Not open for further replies.