plumbing fitting not listed as ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
I can?t conceive in my mind why anyone would bond hot to cold.

Because the NEC does not say just bond what 'you' think will suffice it says bond the "system".

250.104 Bonding of Piping Systems and Exposed Structural
Steel.
(A) Metal Water Piping. The metal water piping system
shall be bonded

Now I agree that we need a sizing chart for bonding of trade sizes. 1/2", 3/4", etc.

If I had a plumbing leak and replaced my cold water line to the hot water tank with Pex but left the whole hot side in copper would you say do not worry about the hot water lines?

jwelectric

Because the NEC does not say just bond what 'you' think will suffice it says bond the "system".

250.104 Bonding of Piping Systems and Exposed Structural
Steel.
(A) Metal Water Piping. The metal water piping system
shall be bonded
(1) General. Metal water piping system(s) installed
in or attached to a building or structure shall be bonded to the service
equipment enclosure, the grounded conductor at the service, the grounding
electrode conductor where of sufficient size, or to the one or more grounding
electrodes used.
The bonding jumper(s) shall be sized in accordance with Table 250.66 except as permitted in 250.104(A)(2) and (A)(3).

Now I agree that we need a sizing chart for bonding of trade sizes. 1/2", 3/4", etc.

If I had a plumbing leak and replaced my cold water line to the hot water tank with Pex but left the whole hot side in copper would you say do not worry about the hot water lines?
Not only would I say it is not a problem but the code panel says the same thing. See the proposal I posted earlier

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
(1) General. Metal water piping system(s) installed
in or attached to a building or structure shall be bonded to the service
equipment enclosure, the grounded conductor at the service, the grounding
electrode conductor where of sufficient size, or to the one or more grounding
electrodes used.
The bonding jumper(s) shall be sized in accordance with Table 250.66 except as permitted in 250.104(A)(2) and (A)(3).

Not only would I say it is not a problem but the code panel says the same thing. See the proposal I posted earlier

When is bonding the, or some of, interior water lines required?

jwelectric

When is bonding the, or some of, interior water lines required?
When it is a complete metal water piping system bonding using Table 250.66 is required. The requirement is that the point where it lands on the metal water pipe must be accessible and the other end must land either on the service equipment, the neutral, a grounding electrode or a grounding electrode conductor but it can?t be between two pipes as outlined in 250.104(A)(1)

The easy way to see if it is a complete metal water piping system is to check continuity between the end of the hot water pipe and the point where the cold starts in the building. If there is no continuity then it is not a complete metal water piping system and the bonding outlined in 250.104(B) would apply.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
When it is a complete metal water piping system bonding using Table 250.66 is required. The requirement is that the point where it lands on the metal water pipe must be accessible and the other end must land either on the service equipment, the neutral, a grounding electrode or a grounding electrode conductor but it can?t be between two pipes as outlined in 250.104(A)(1)

The easy way to see if it is a complete metal water piping system is to check continuity between the end of the hot water pipe and the point where the cold starts in the building. If there is no continuity then it is not a complete metal water piping system and the bonding outlined in 250.104(B) would apply.

OMG! I can use my Wiggy and anything that 'rings out' must be bonded!

jwelectric

OMG! I can use my Wiggy and anything that 'rings out' must be bonded!
They all must be bonded but the manner in which they are bonded will change if it doesn't ring out from end to end.
and it does not say bond one pipe to another pipe and gives clear information as to how to bond the pipe. This bull of bonding from pipe to pipe is a violation of the code.

Last edited:

jwelectric

If anything it is simply not required, calling it a violation is not right, you can generally bond to anything you wish.

If someone is going to call the hot one piping system and the cold another system, which they are the same potable water system, then for an inspector to require a bonding jumper to be installed from the hot to the cold and use 250.104(A)(1) would be a violation of the very section in which they are quoting.

This section has a laundry list of places this pipe is to be bonded to and another pipe is not one of them.

So if the inspector is going to call the hot and cold two separate piping systems then there would need to be two bonding jumpers installed from the service enclosure, the neutral conductor at the service, the grounding electrode, or the grounding electrode conductor.

What we have going on across this nation concerning this issue is a lot of inspectors trying to enforce a picture they saw somewhere instead of enforcing the letter of the code. I hang my head in shame toward the profession of electrical inspectors and pray that someday soon they learn how to read.

I agree it is not required

Status
Not open for further replies.