How to mount fixture on wood siding

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkgrady

I need to install fixtures on a wood shingle sidded wall. I like to use the siding blocks made for this like the ones made by Arlington. They include the box right in the block. Just poke a wire through the wall and connect to the back of the thing. I can't find anything that will accomadate an oblong shaped fixture. The fixture is about 6 inches tall and about 11 inches wide. It is weather protected with a gasket that presses between the fixture and the wall so the wall must be smooth and wide enough to seal the edges of the fixture.

Anybody know of a product or a method of properly mounting this kind of fixture? If this were new work I would just ask the carpenter to install a block of the right dimensions while the siding is being installed.

Rewire

I need to install fixtures on a wood shingle sidded wall. I like to use the siding blocks made for this like the ones made by Arlington. They include the box right in the block. Just poke a wire through the wall and connect to the back of the thing. I can't find anything that will accomadate an oblong shaped fixture. The fixture is about 6 inches tall and about 11 inches wide. It is weather protected with a gasket that presses between the fixture and the wall so the wall must be smooth and wide enough to seal the edges of the fixture.

Anybody know of a product or a method of properly mounting this kind of fixture? If this were new work I would just ask the carpenter to install a block of the right dimensions while the siding is being installed.

how are your carpenter skills? Find a matching siding piece then flip it upsidedown and cut to the width it will make a nice flat mounting surface

kwired

Electron manager
how are your carpenter skills? Find a matching siding piece then flip it upsidedown and cut to the width it will make a nice flat mounting surface

The Arlington products are great, but this is one application where they probably are not the solution, something fabricated from same type of wood would look best.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
This wouldn't work?

8091FDBL-2.jpg

http://www.aifittings.com/catalog/p...x-kits-for-extra-large-fixtures-and-gfcis.pdf

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Usually siding is tapered from an eighth of an inch to 3/4" . When you flip it over the and match the opposite sides the thickness will be the same on the board. I have done that many times. Just cut it about 2 to 3 " wider than the fixture. I not sure it will work with shingles-- I think Rewire is thinking beveled siding.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
If they are cedar shingles then get a piece of cedar or whatever the siding is made from and cut a block the correct size then use a Fein Tool or a multi master type tool to cut the block in. Then use clear caulk

fmmcordless.jpg

mkgrady

Usually siding is tapered from an eighth of an inch to 3/4" . When you flip it over the and match the opposite sides the thickness will be the same on the board. I have done that many times. Just cut it about 2 to 3 " wider than the fixture. I not sure it will work with shingles-- I think Rewire is thinking beveled siding.

OK, now I get it.

If they are cedar shingles then get a piece of cedar or whatever the siding is made from and cut a block the correct size then use a Fein Tool or a multi master type tool to cut the block in. Then use clear caulk

fmmcordless.jpg

I think I will do this. I have a Bosh tool like that. I was concerned about causing a leak but you're right the caulking should seal it up good.

Status
Not open for further replies.