AlarmNet Woes

Status
Not open for further replies.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Looking for some advice from folks with experience using GSM-based DACT's for commercial fire alarm. We can all see the handwriting on the wall, and copper wire isn't likely to be with us much longer for fire alarm communication. We put in our first radio about a month ago, and it's been a nightmare. First, the salesman sold the wrong unit, then the tech didn't get enough signal at the install location, and now the remote antenna has good signal but we're still loosing communication every once in a while and the customer isn't happy about getting the trouble call at o-dark thirty. We're using the IPGSM-DP in radio only mode. The owner doesn't live in this multi-family house so I don't have his internet to use as the back up com method. Need some tips and tricks on this stuff so we don't get hosed next time.

nhfire77

Looking for some advice from folks with experience using GSM-based DACT's for commercial fire alarm. We can all see the handwriting on the wall, and copper wire isn't likely to be with us much longer for fire alarm communication. We put in our first radio about a month ago, and it's been a nightmare. First, the salesman sold the wrong unit, then the tech didn't get enough signal at the install location, and now the remote antenna has good signal but we're still loosing communication every once in a while and the customer isn't happy about getting the trouble call at o-dark thirty. We're using the IPGSM-DP in radio only mode. The owner doesn't live in this multi-family house so I don't have his internet to use as the back up com method. Need some tips and tricks on this stuff so we don't get hosed next time.

Buy a burg version of the radio as a signal strength tester. Get it programmed, tested and put the account on test forever. Have a training class with the sales and tech guys. Ensure they understand they procedure for testing signal strength. If they can get signal in a location where a remote antenna is required, make sure it's not the minimum required signal to account for dB loss.And that you can actually get the antenna there too!

Also, you may know this, but moving the antenna just an inch might do it. Also, id recommend leaving it in the mounting location for several minutes if it's close to minimum, things may change.

You cannot rely on a cell phone to test, its unreliable.

Ive done this with great success after training and retraining.

jewellfish

The company I work for has had good success with the alarmnet units. Telguard makes very good units that are, in my opinion, easier to setup and use. I have rarely seen issues with signal strength. AES makes an outstanding product if you are in the position to setup your own private network.

gadfly56

Occupation
Throwing in the Towel

Throwing in the Towel

Well, this is the end of our little saga. After a final attempt to relocate the external antenna further away from possible sources of interference and to a high elevation, we're calling it quits. During a two-week monitoring period we logged 73 network failures without any issues regarding signal strength. I know it's unscientific to make a decision based on a sample size of one, but we won't do anymore radio-only installations. Since Honeywell offered zero in the way of tech support we're going back to POTS lines. They were installed today, and we'll swing the customer over tomorrow. In my own view, radio is so not-ready-for-prime-time.

nhfire77

Does alarmnet use only one cell provider? I think tellular may use more than one.

I did an uplink GSM (UL burg) they have a dedicated Verizon GSM radio. $600, not cheap but gets it done.

We've done 5-6 DSC stand alone fire radios, with adequate signal, there are no problems, now.

I too am frustrated with the rush to the market, initially too many quirks were a problem with DSC

MisterCMK

Did you press your Central Station to press Honeywell for tech support?

Does alarmnet use only one cell provider? I think tellular may use more than one.

I did an uplink GSM (UL burg) they have a dedicated Verizon GSM radio. $600, not cheap but gets it done.

We've done 5-6 DSC stand alone fire radios, with adequate signal, there are no problems, now.

I too am frustrated with the rush to the market, initially too many quirks were a problem with DSC

I believe AlarmNet only uses one provider.

The only problem with the Connect24 is that their data rates are not cheap for a sole comm channel with supervision.

I've yet to do a GSM only UL fire setup but I have done a few UL Fire IP only setups and they passed out UL audit for the certs without any issue.

nhfire77

Did you press your Central Station to press Honeywell for tech support?

I believe AlarmNet only uses one provider.

The only problem with the Connect24 is that their data rates are not cheap for a sole comm channel with supervision.

I've yet to do a GSM only UL fire setup but I have done a few UL Fire IP only setups and they passed out UL audit for the certs without any issue.

Yea 300s supv window (UL fire) is not cheap, or price is more than double than that of POTS, (if it's a simple install without antenna extension we'll give a cut rate for existing customers on that radio) but that's ok with me. When the only thing the POTS is used for is fire, our price increase is less than 1 months cost for 1 commercial phone line.

Of course an AES radio or IP is certainly cheaper monthly. Installation is a lot more. An AES is double the GSM, but my central station owns the communication channel end to end. Signal is a bigger issue though. Coverage is good, but not GSM good.

IP costs are even more with the UPS for the modem/router/switch.

gadfly56

Occupation
Yea 300s supv window (UL fire) is not cheap, or price is more than double than that of POTS, (if it's a simple install without antenna extension we'll give a cut rate for existing customers on that radio) but that's ok with me. When the only thing the POTS is used for is fire, our price increase is less than 1 months cost for 1 commercial phone line.

Of course an AES radio or IP is certainly cheaper monthly. Installation is a lot more. An AES is double the GSM, but my central station owns the communication channel end to end. Signal is a bigger issue though. Coverage is good, but not GSM good.

IP costs are even more with the UPS for the modem/router/switch.

Consider also, are the modem, router, switch, and UPS (to which the customer side equipment must be connected) all listed for fire?

Status
Not open for further replies.