New Panel in OLD barn...

Status
Not open for further replies.

outofphase

I've got a job that I really don't want the liability for considering it is an 1850's old Vermont barn that a farmer friend of mine wants to install new panel. The panel is installed in the milking parlor and due to all the urine and moisture in the barn, the panel & breakers have started to fail. I want to eliminate the possibility of moisture getting in the panel and fixtures. Would it be a 4X or 6P enclosure with weatherproof romex connectors? I'm also worried about the jacket and insulation on the wire in the parlor as well. It's the old cloth type jacke on the wire. Should I do a wholesale rewire and put brand new everything? It's a cost issue for the farmer.

Thoughts?

Hendrix

My uncle had a dairy farm in Barnard Vt. He did all the wireing, plumbing, carpentry, mechanics etc. Needless to say things were far from perfect, but thats what dairy farmers did in the 40's and 50's.
I would fix everything, at a minimum price because I have a soft spot for farmers.:angel:

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
I've got a job that I really don't want the liability for considering it is an 1850's old Vermont barn that a farmer friend of mine wants to install new panel. The panel is installed in the milking parlor and due to all the urine and moisture in the barn, the panel & breakers have started to fail. I want to eliminate the possibility of moisture getting in the panel and fixtures. Would it be a 4X or 6P enclosure with weatherproof romex connectors? I'm also worried about the jacket and insulation on the wire in the parlor as well. It's the old cloth type jacke on the wire. Should I do a wholesale rewire and put brand new everything? It's a cost issue for the farmer.

Thoughts?

Use a type 3R panel and maybe you can sleeve the wire in PVC.

Welcome to the forum....:thumbsup::thumbsup:

outofphase

Thanks...

Thanks...

The labor is all free, materials at cost with the help of efficiency vermont. Can't really sleeve romex in pvc but i'll just pull new wire through.

Appreciate the advice.

dicklaxt

Agreed, 3R is more economical than 4X anytime you start dealing with anti corrosive materials (X suffix)the price sky rockets,,3R will outlast the barn,need to teach those cows what a commode is :):thumbsup:

dick

kwired

Electron manager
The panel is installed in the milking parlor and due to all the urine and moisture in the barn, the panel & breakers have started to fail.

I would not even put it in the milking parlor - this area should be washed frequently and may be more corrosive than in the barn. I have not seen a dairy that does not have a mechanical room for vacuum pump, cooling compressors, and other necessary equipment why not put the panel there and use a regular indoor panel?

BTW today's "modern dairies" have at least 400 amp 480 volt service, and large mechanical rooms.

USDA certifications are not always easy to get in those older buildings - and be worth the investment. Without that it gets hard to sell the milk - at good prices anyway.

outofphase

Kwired

Kwired

Kwired...

That was my original idea but with the state of farmers funds to move & change out service to 3 phase and upgrade equipment & motors is a huge & non feasible endeavor for the farmer. Most of them live below the poverty line, unfortunately. I wish it was different but reality is harsh sometimes.

kwired

Electron manager
Kwired...

That was my original idea but with the state of farmers funds to move & change out service to 3 phase and upgrade equipment & motors is a huge & non feasible endeavor for the farmer. Most of them live below the poverty line, unfortunately. I wish it was different but reality is harsh sometimes.

Not the farmers here, they are the ones driving the economy here. The occasional small operator may not have a lot of $$$, but is currently doing better than he was 10 years ago. If there were no farmers here I would not have a job. The non farmers I do work for are only here and in business because they also depend on the farmers for their living.

Dairy farmer I do work for has spent a ton of $$ the last few years on equipment, new shop, houses for hired help, etc. He either needed to write off some income or pay more taxes - farmers here are good about spending money when they have it - and it benefits businesses like mine as they usually need my services for many of their expenditures.

Status
Not open for further replies.