Changing switches and receptacles

Learn the NEC with Mike Holt now!

Changing switches and receptacles

• test using a shorting plug (for receptacles)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

fmtjfw

Let's assume you've got a job that consists of changing the receptacles, switches, and cover plates throughout a house from ivory to almond. You ask why and the guy who hired you said it is a directive from "She Who Must Be Obeyed". They are going away for the week. So you show up and decide the simplest way to do this is to put on a head lamp and turn off the main breaker. You turn it off and padlock it.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I use one of those plug in testers which I didn't see on your pole unless that's what a shorting plug is.

And I'm pretty old school, I check every time even when I'm the one that turned it off.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Your list of possible answers does not include the one I would pick (if I were an electrician and was hired to do this job). I would not turn off the main breaker. I would not want to be responsible for spoiling the food in the fridge. :happyno:

I should mention that I voted for the digital meter. But that is because it is the only item on the list that I happen to own.

BPoindexter

Inactive, Email Never Verified
A "wiggly"... that to me is a type of screwdriver used back in the day before cordless drivers... is that what you are talking about? Or did you mean a "wiggy" tester (solenoid and/or lights for indication)? I would use a plug tester or a probe on the switches.

fmtjfw

First poll, I'll do better next time.

First poll, I'll do better next time.

Forgot about the plug in testers
A shorting plug is a standard plug with the hot and neutral wired together. Used to trip the breaker, blow the fuse without hunting for them.
Wiggly old (i guess) term for a solenoid tester.

Guys, messing with the question by applying reality to it isn't fair. I'm trying to understand what you would do with a locked out main breaker.

Who in the world would ask an electrician to change to color of the the devices and plates?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I would not throw the main either but if that is what is given I don't believe I would test with anything else. I would open the main box and make sure the breaker was off and functioning and then go on my way

cowboyjwc

Staff member
A shorting plug is a standard plug with the hot and neutral wired together. Used to trip the breaker, blow the fuse without hunting for them.

Guys, messing with the question by applying reality to it isn't fair. I'm trying to understand what you would do with a locked out main breaker.

Who in the world would ask an electrician to change to color of the the devices and plates?

I once told a guy that "I try not to short any thing by accident, why would I want to do it on purpose?"

PetrosA

I wouldn't test. If, as you describe, this is a single family house and the main is off, the likelihood that someone tapped a receptacle circuit off the line side of the main breaker is minute. I don't think I've ever seen it done in a modern panel (fuse boxes were another story...). The likelihood that a receptacle in this house is fed from a neighboring house is beyond minute.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I would use a circuit tracer and shut of each circuit to be worked on individually and then re-energize when the work on that was complete. No need to shut the main and kill things like the sump pump receptacle that could lead to a flood.

Occupation
Electrical contractor
I would leave the main on, plug in my favorite tool (my radio) crank it to eleven . Go hit the breakers until the radio went off. Relocate the radio to a live circuit. Change the outlets on the "off" circuit but test each ones with my fingers (to lazy to carry extra tools.) Do you guys still test with your fingers?

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
I use one of those plug in testers which I didn't see on your pole unless that's what a shorting plug is.

And I'm pretty old school, I check every time even when I'm the one that turned it off.

A shorting plug is an extension cord with a single pole switch plug it in and turn it on:eek::lol:so that is a really bad idea...:happyno:

LEO2854

Esteemed Member

Many people like to change the color to what they like and will pay you well to do it.

The fun part is you get to see what the last electrician did when he deviced the job the last time..Like fake grounds..:lol:

Attached Thumbnails

Smart $

Esteemed Member
I wouldn't test. If, as you describe, this is a single family house and the main is off, the likelihood that someone tapped a receptacle circuit off the line side of the main breaker is minute. I don't think I've ever seen it done in a modern panel (fuse boxes were another story...). The likelihood that a receptacle in this house is fed from a neighboring house is beyond minute.
I would go with your line of thinking...

But, if the main was a breaker, I'd pull the cover, inspect and verify a de-energized load side. I have experienced breakers that remained energized when turned off (FWIW, yes from what I recall they were FPE breakers). Probably test with a verified-functioning DMM because I don't own a wiggy.

From there, being the question is whether I'd test and by what means at each box, I'm going to vote for the "no test" option.

jumper

I would leave the main on, plug in my favorite tool (my radio) crank it to eleven . Go hit the breakers until the radio went off. Relocate the radio to a live circuit. Change the outlets on the "off" circuit but test each ones with my fingers (to lazy to carry extra tools.) Do you guys still test with your fingers?

You are either joking or trying to get a Darwin Award. I would hope for the former.

renosteinke

My usual practice is not listed among the choices.

Most often, I have some manner of load: a receptacle tester, a toner, the light the switch controls .. to indicate whether the correct breaker was flipped. That's my primary means of checking.

The 'volt ticker' is only a secondary check, used most often when there are multiple devices to be opened.

One of my worst shocks, ever, came from a wire that had been checked with both ticker and meter.

Actually, you might say that any sort of checking is 'secondary.' There have been a few times I happily worked on stuff that was really 'live,' though I was under the impression that it was dead. The work proceeded without event. Only when I went to turn the power back on did I discover that it had been 'on' all the time. In these instances, what prevented mishap were work practices that assued the stuff was live, even though I was sure it was 'dead.'

So, to sum up, for me the chain is like this:
#1: Work as if 'live;'
#2: Check with a load;
#3: Verify with test equipment.

Occupation
Electrical contractor
You are either joking or trying to get a Darwin Award. I would hope for the former.

You must be a younger guy if you over 40ish this is the way we were taught one finger on ground next one to the "hot" wire. To be honest it isn't a good practice because now sometimes I can't feel it and have to wet my finger ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.