Recessed lighting layout

Status
Not open for further replies.

nizak

Is there any general rule when calculating the # of recessed can lights it will take to provide "general illumination"? I have a 28'x15' living room with 9' ceilings, seems to me that in order to get ample light I am going to need so many cans (6" 65W max bulb) that the ceiling will look cluttered. I also have issues that are not going to allow for consistent spacing, any thoughts? Thanks

PetrosA

Is there any general rule when calculating the # of recessed can lights it will take to provide "general illumination"? I have a 28'x15' living room with 9' ceilings, seems to me that in order to get ample light I am going to need so many cans (6" 65W max bulb) that the ceiling will look cluttered. I also have issues that are not going to allow for consistent spacing, any thoughts? Thanks

You need to know what level of light you need, and at what height above the floor (how many feet away from the cans) and what kind of lamps you're using. Then you can use data sheets to do some calcs.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
The decision really hinges on how much light in the living room do you want? In my kitchen I have nine 6" cans. My living room, which is larger has three cans and a couple table lamps. Nine foot ceilings in both.

I ditched the grid layout mentality for cans in houses when I remodeled my own.
Instead I spread them out on the floor where I thought light was needed. Moved them around and added or removed them until it felt right. When it did I transferred the locations to the ceiling. A slight tweek was needed to account for framing but that is no big deal. The light knows where it wants to be you just have to listen.

Here is an idea:

Indirect, dimmable LED strip installed along the entire length of all walls. It can be nicely integrated into a crown molding that is installed 1-2' below the ceiling level.

ducks1333

Inactive, Email Never Verified
If you are using them for general illumination you will probably have to located them on 6' centers for even illumination with a 9' ceiling height. However, you don't typically see living area with general illumination provide by can lights. They would be better used for accents or over seating areas. I think you need to redefine your goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.