Saw this yesterday

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was getting gas and saw this on some vending machines on another island. Another local electrician was finishing this up on this when I took the picture. Apparently they had problems with people unplugging the vending machines so they decided to hardwire them. What is shown is the front of both machines. What is not shown is that on either side of the machines are additional gas pumps.

http://i.imgur.com/EK0On.jpg

Just thinking of the code violations, correct me if I am wrong...
-hardwiring cord connected equipment
-conductors exiting conduit not secured or sealed (hard to see but the power cord is hanging out of the liquatite)
-improper mounting of the junction box to a movable object (the red thing is a redbox DVD kiosk)
-something about the above mentioned violations in an area where gasoline is dispensed

What do you guys think?

Stevareno

I was getting gas and saw this on some vending machines on another island. Another local electrician was finishing this up on this when I took the picture. Apparently they had problems with people unplugging the vending machines so they decided to hardwire them. What is shown is the front of both machines. What is not shown is that on either side of the machines are additional gas pumps.

http://i.imgur.com/EK0On.jpg

Just thinking of the code violations, correct me if I am wrong...
-hardwiring cord connected equipment
-conductors exiting conduit not secured or sealed (hard to see but the power cord is hanging out of the liquatite)
-improper mounting of the junction box to a movable object (the red thing is a redbox DVD kiosk)
-something about the above mentioned violations in an area where gasoline is dispensed

What do you guys think?

All things considered, hard wired is better than cord and plug connected. Less chance of an arc. :p

Open Neutral

Occupation
Engineer
I have seen the same insanity (vending machines adjacent to pumps) in Bowie MD. Given my history in Art. 500 areas, I freaked and tried to call the Prince George County Fire Marshal. Of course I was blown off and shunted to Voice Mail Jail.

Who cares about plugs when there are motor-start contacts on the compressors???

Status
Not open for further replies.