Panel clearance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikeq1

Hopefully I can describe this in a simple way.
I installed an outdoor panel on the "inside" corner of the building. Meaning, when looking at the panel, a wall runs along on my left, then 90's to the right, where my panel is mounted. All my clearances are met (I hope). My question is that when opening the outdoor panel cover door (swings out to the right) it opens up just past the required 90 degrees before hitting the meter enclosure mounted next to the panel. Measuring between the open door and the wall on the other side of the panel is 25". Is this a clearance issue? The door does have screws on the hinges so it could be removed when working in the panel.

I hope that made sense.

Thanks.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Welcome to the Forum. Good Question.
If I understand correctly, if you are standing at the panel, with the door closed you have 30" or more in width, however, once you open the door which can only swing 90?+, the width in front of the panel deadfront is reduced to 25".
Close call, IMO, but I would call it a violation as 110.26 reference "working space". If one removed the deadfront from the panel, leaving the door, you would only have 25".

Mikeq1

Yeah, that's my situation. I'm hoping that since the door can be removed that it will be allowed. Unfortunately we didn't notice this issue until well into the installation.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Can you get a replacement cover from the manufacturer, one that has its door swing to the left?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
OK now I am confused. When you open the door, what do you see? Do you just see the breaker's plastic handle and case, or can you also see the bus bars? In other words, with the panel door open, do you have access to the energized metal parts that might be in need of maintenance or servicing? If not, if the only way you can get access to the energized metal parts is to remove the screws and then take the panel cover off completely, then the door would no longer be in the way of the working clearance. In that case, there is no problem.

TimK

OK now I am confused. When you open the door, what do you see? Do you just see the breaker's plastic handle and case, or can you also see the bus bars? In other words, with the panel door open, do you have access to the energized metal parts that might be in need of maintenance or servicing? If not, if the only way you can get access to the energized metal parts is to remove the screws and then take the panel cover off completely, then the door would no longer be in the way of the working clearance. In that case, there is no problem.

Eggazctly, that is the thought and direction that i was going in Charlie:happyyes:

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........

The way the op reads the door is built into the panel cover, so, when you open it all you see is the breakers.
To have acess to the buss or load side of the breakers you would have to take the cover off.
I see no problem. JMO
Although I will say any outdoor panel I have seen has a cover that lifts up not one that swings to the side.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
I think that if this was a NEMA 1 indoor situation there would be no debate as the the cover and door would be one piece and you would need to remove the door to get at the dead front cover (if there was one). Either way the door would not be there to access live parts. NEMA 3R might be a little different, as with most models the door and dead front cover are different pieces AND you can remove the dead front without the door removed (unlike a NEMA 1 Cover). Even with that being said , I think the OP is still compliant as you can remove the door at your option while working on the panel to achieve NEC clearance requirements.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Outdoor panels with doors hinged on the side abound. They stay attached when the dead front is removed

I think the OP is saying there is nothing obstructing access to the screws that hold the door on. The workspace is attainable, it is just not there when the door is swung open.

Mikeq1

I think that if this was a NEMA 1 indoor situation there would be no debate as the the cover and door would be one piece and you would need to remove the door to get at the dead front cover (if there was one). Either way the door would not be there to access live parts. NEMA 3R might be a little different, as with most models the door and dead front cover are different pieces AND you can remove the dead front without the door removed (unlike a NEMA 1 Cover). Even with that being said , I think the OP is still compliant as you can remove the door at your option while working on the panel to achieve NEC clearance requirements.

This is correct; the door and the dead front are two pieces. I did verify today that the door comes off so I'm feeling a little better about my upcoming inspection. I'll let you know what the inspector says.

Mikeq1

Outdoor panels with doors hinged on the side abound. They stay attached when the dead front is removed

I think the OP is saying there is nothing obstructing access to the screws that hold the door on. The workspace is attainable, it is just not there when the door is swung open.

Thanks for your response. Yeah, when the door is swung open it is less than 30", but goes past the required 90 degrees. But since the door can be removed (the dead front is a separate piece) I'm able to get the required clearances. I've never encountered this so I began second guessing myself, but feel more confident now that I'm in compliance.

Status
Not open for further replies.