NEC 210.8 (B) (5) GFCI within 5' of sink edge

Status
Not open for further replies.

DW98

Looking at NEC 210.8 (B) (5), it looks like refrigerator receptacles within 5' of sink will have to be g.f.c.i. type. does anyone have any bad experiences with nuisance tripping? I don't see any exception for washing machines, etc.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
Just want to make sure that 210.8(B)(5) is for non dwelling.

YES all receptacle within 6' (not 5') of the sink have to be GFCI protected.

No problem with fridge on GFCI circuit.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
For a non-dwelling Edward is correct it's within 6'. For a residential kitchen it only requires GFCI protection if it serves the countertop. The fridge receptacle could be right next to the sink and still not require GFCI.

PEDRO ESCOVILLA

i've seen it called out various ways. alot depends on the inspector. i personally wouldnt (dont) want my fridge on a gfci. groceries are too expensive for that in my opinion. however, i've had inspectors tell me that if its a single outlet for a dedicated piece of eguipment, its not necessary. when i do residential installs, i dont put the fridge on a gfci, i provide a circuit for it (specifically) and a single outlet. if an inspector askes for it, i'll do it. during the course of my day job, when inspecting, no, i don't cal it that way. if its behind the fridge, not required even if it isw/in 6 feet of a sink, or not. just my way of doing things. then again,13 inspectors will give you 14 different answers, cause someones bound to see something differently in the course of the cconversation

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
then again,13 inspectors will give you 14 different answers, cause someones bound to see something differently in the course of the cconversation

Not sure why any inspector would get this one wrong. The NEC is pretty explicit regarding when GFCI protection is and isn't required.

Gregg Harris

Occupation
Electrical,HVAC, Technical Trainer
For a non-dwelling Edward is correct it's within 6'. For a residential kitchen it only requires GFCI protection if it serves the countertop. The fridge receptacle could be right next to the sink and still not require GFCI.

I would agree

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Not sure why any inspector would get this one wrong. The NEC is pretty explicit regarding when GFCI protection is and isn't required.
Agreed. If an inspector has a hard time with this one he/she may need some reading classes.

Roger

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
i've seen it called out various ways. alot depends on the inspector. i personally wouldnt (dont) want my fridge on a gfci. groceries are too expensive for that in my opinion. however, i've had inspectors tell me that if its a single outlet for a dedicated piece of eguipment, its not necessary That was past code cycles which your jurisdiction may be enforcing when i do residential installs, i dont put the fridge on a gfci, i provide a circuit for it (specifically) and a single outlet. if an inspector askes for it, i'll do it. In a dwelling kitchen the fridge doesn't have to have a GFCI protection even if the receptacle is within 6' (unless it is using one of the counter receptacles) during the course of my day job, when inspecting, no, i don't cal it that way. if its behind the fridge, not required even if it isw/in 6 feet of a sink, or not. just my way of doing things. then again,13 inspectors will give you 14 different answers, cause someones bound to see something differently in the course of the cconversation

Now, The 6' GFCI rule applies to ALL receptacles within 6' of laundry sink, utility sink and wet bar sink.
The dwelling kitchen's 6' rule has been replaced with all counter use receptacles to be GFCI protected.

kwired

Electron manager
i've seen it called out various ways. alot depends on the inspector. i personally wouldnt (dont) want my fridge on a gfci. groceries are too expensive for that in my opinion. however, i've had inspectors tell me that if its a single outlet for a dedicated piece of eguipment, its not necessary. when i do residential installs, i dont put the fridge on a gfci, i provide a circuit for it (specifically) and a single outlet. if an inspector askes for it, i'll do it. during the course of my day job, when inspecting, no, i don't cal it that way. if its behind the fridge, not required even if it isw/in 6 feet of a sink, or not. just my way of doing things. then again,13 inspectors will give you 14 different answers, cause someones bound to see something differently in the course of the cconversation

Although I won't disagree about the price of groceries, they don't even come close in comparison to the loss of a life, which is what GFCI protection is all about.

The place I have run into the problem with a GFCI tripping the most and involving refrigerators and freezers has been in unfinished basements or garages. Customer and/or even appliance repair man always wants me to eliminate the GFCI. Not one time have I ever not looked at the situation a little harder and found there was a problem in the unplugged appliance and the GFCI was simply doing what it was supposed to do. You do sometimes find them tripped after a lighting storm. There are alarms designed to tell you you lost refrigeration - buy one.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
The UL standard for refrigerators now limits the leakage current to 0.5 mA. This low level was the reason why the exception for non gfci receptacles behind an appliance was removed in the 2008 NEC (basements and garages)

Status
Not open for further replies.