replcing smoke heads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Article 90.1

I do. And I will show the customer the expiration date on the back if it is available. Once we touch it we own it, and I don't want to get called for every beep or chirp.

If I'm rolling to a smoke detector call I load enough in the van to to a complete change out on the spot.

John120/240

Yes, It is what the manufacturers recommend. I know that they are in business to sell more

smoke dectors. New smoke decetors are a small price to pay for piece of mind.

kwired

Electron manager
Are you asking if I check the age of smoke detectors when at a customers place, even if smoke detectors was not otherwise to be examined, or if I recommend changing them if more than 10 years old if it happens to come up in conversation for whatever reason?

kwired

Electron manager
I see alot of homes that have older detectors this could be a great profit source.

I guess it doesn't hurt to mention something about it, I generally don't go looking for things I wasn't called for, but if I do run into something that needs addressed I will say something. But that is just me, I don't like it when people try to upsell things to me, so I don't push things on others unless I feel it is really in their best interest to at least bring a problem to their attention.

I about have to hold myself back from committing a homicide when sales clerks ask if I want the extended warranty. As a business owner I understand that there is a lot of profit there, as a consumer I feel like I am being shafted, and it is offensive to me for you to even suggest I am dumb enough to buy the warranty.:rant:

I don't ordinarily rent cars, but I heard some guy on the radio once that brought things to perspective. If you buy the insurance when you rent that car, it does not matter what condition you bring the car back in - so have some fun with it:happyyes:

GUNNING

Mfg and NFPA says replace them

Mfg and NFPA says replace them

Firex says to replace smoke detectors if they are over 10 yrs old and NFPA urges replacement after 10 years.
The Florida Building code wants CO detectors placed like smoke detectors if fossil fuel is used or if there is a garage in the home.
Technology changes.

http://www.ncsl.org/issues-research/env-res/carbon-monoxide-detectors-state-statutes.aspx

O
ne of the things I look at when I walk through the front door is the smoke detector.:thumbsup:
I stopped carrying 9v batteries on the van for smoke detectors.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
The vast majority of residential smoke detectors are ionization type detectors. As the Americium loses activity, the current in the detector drops. Since it is the reduction of current caused by smoke particles attaching themselves to the ions in the ionization chamber that causes an alarm condition, eventually the detector will be constantly in alarm. Every ten years is the required replacement by NFPA 72, or sooner if the manufacturer calls for it.

kwired

Electron manager
The vast majority of residential smoke detectors are ionization type detectors. As the Americium loses activity, the current in the detector drops. Since it is the reduction of current caused by smoke particles attaching themselves to the ions in the ionization chamber that causes an alarm condition, eventually the detector will be constantly in alarm. Every ten years is the required replacement by NFPA 72, or sooner if the manufacturer calls for it.

I like that answer, something that makes better sense than just "things fail over time". We all test our smoke detectors monthly like the instructions say, don't we? As well as GFCI's and AFCI's.:angel:

RICK NAPIER

2007 NFPA 72 article 10.4.7 states unless otherwise recommended by the manufacturer they shall not remain in service longer than 10 years from the date of manufacture.

Gold

Rewire are you doing electronic invoicing yet?

If you do you can tailor your software to ask your tech the age of the smokes as well as about 20 other small items and make small offers based on the questions.

Little things like duct seal on the service entrance
age of gfci's
dimmers
tvss
Afci breakers
hardwired smoke detectors
throw the dock thing in there
etc

Then have your software offer value added services as options right on the invoice but also give them the option to simply request more info on those same options, that gives you a chance to make a "special offer" via email later on if they don't do it right away. Of course its still up to the tech to develop the need with the homo.
Thumbs up wheels down buddy:thumbsup:

Rewire

Rewire are you doing electronic invoicing yet?

If you do you can tailor your software to ask your tech the age of the smokes as well as about 20 other small items and make small offers based on the questions.

Little things like duct seal on the service entrance
age of gfci's
dimmers
tvss
Afci breakers
hardwired smoke detectors
throw the dock thing in there
etc

Then have your software offer value added services as options right on the invoice but also give them the option to simply request more info on those same options, that gives you a chance to make a "special offer" via email later on if they don't do it right away. Of course its still up to the tech to develop the need with the homo.
Thumbs up wheels down buddy:thumbsup:

We go to Buffalo NY next month for training on Successware21 our new operating software we will start changing over in Dec

Gold

I know your tied up in this canned contractor crap but you can have a better version custom made to your company for much less.

You really need to shuffle through the packaging for the product.

Rewire

I know your tied up in this canned contractor crap but you can have a better version custom made to your company for much less.

You really need to shuffle through the packaging for the product.

successware is designed specifically for service companies with the built in ability to generate the information and tracking reports that I need no real need to reinvent the wheel. If the goal is to produce a million dollars in sales then does it make sense to find a company who is doing just that and simply copy it? This "canned" contractor crap is being used by an electrical service company that is doing 17 million in sales so I think I will follow what they are doing.

Gold

successware is designed specifically for service companies with the built in ability to generate the information and tracking reports that I need no real need to reinvent the wheel. If the goal is to produce a million dollars in sales then does it make sense to find a company who is doing just that and simply copy it? This "canned" contractor crap is being used by an electrical service company that is doing 17 million in sales so I think I will follow what they are doing.

How many 17 million dollar companies don't use it?

I know what it is dude, its all filler no killer.

If you need someone to paint you a picture and tell you a story to understand a concept then you need it, otherwise there concepts aren't new or original.

Rewire

How many 17 million dollar companies don't use it?

I know what it is dude, its all filler no killer.

If you need someone to paint you a picture and tell you a story to understand a concept then you need it, otherwise there concepts aren't new or original.

just ask yourself which experience is cheaper yours or someone elses.

they use to be a saying that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters would eventually reproduce the works of Shakespeare , well the internet has proven that wrong.

nhfire77

they use to be a saying that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters would eventually reproduce the works of Shakespeare , well the internet has proven that wrong.

How does a typewriter connect to the internet?

Couldn't help myself.

Gold

Your analogy makes no sense but just using one proves my point. I don't need analogies or stories or motivational speeches I'm capable of researching and implementing my own plan. I think you are too for instance despite what some of the know it alls on the internets think The dock inspections weren't part of the program neither were the free smoke detectors and they were good ideas. (jury is still out on the smokes being wireless but I don't want to get hit with hammer...)
Have more confidence in yourself I think your getting swept up by the snake oil pitch, you will probably get more for your money from a private consultant that specializes in contractor marketing.

Your simply reproducing someone elses brand experience. Create your own.

Rewire

Your analogy makes no sense but just using one proves my point. I don't need analogies or stories or motivational speeches I'm capable of researching and implementing my own plan. I think you are too for instance despite what some of the know it alls on the internets think The dock inspections weren't part of the program neither were the free smoke detectors and they were good ideas. (jury is still out on the smokes being wireless but I don't want to get hit with hammer...)
Have more confidence in yourself I think your getting swept up by the snake oil pitch, you will probably get more for your money from a private consultant that specializes in contractor marketing.

Your simply reproducing someone elses brand experience. Create your own.

it is one thing to come up with an idea like replacing old smoke heads its another thing to come up with a marketing strategy along with sales training for your techs that will produce the higher ticket results. now it is a fact given time anyone can come up with a workable solution to the problem but while the competitor is spending time developing a sales aproach I am already hitting the ground running so the advantage is decidedly mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.