Art. 445.13

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbolen

The ampacity of the conductors from the generator terminals to the first distribution device(s) containing overcurrent protection shall not be less than 115 percent of the nameplate current rating of the generator.

Question is the first overload protection the one on the generator or is it the Main Breaker in the Service equiptment.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The ampacity of the conductors from the generator terminals to the first distribution device(s) containing overcurrent protection shall not be less than 115 percent of the nameplate current rating of the generator.

Question is the first overload protection the one on the generator or is it the Main Breaker in the Service equipment.
Well, I don't consider the generator the first distribution device so I would say it must be to the service.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Disagree. If the generator has an OCPD as part of its assembly, that is the first distribution point IMO.
You may be correct and the exception may support that but the entire paragraph seems to be talking about field wiring not that of the genny.

I assume the OCPD in the genny will prevent overloading so I will stand corrected

iwire

Staff member
Not all generators come with a breaker, in thoses cases the wiring is done in the feild. In those cases the 115% comes into play.

That said, apparently some AHJs apply it to all generator feeders.

Status
Not open for further replies.