Personnel Doors panic bars etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.
2008 NEC 110.33(A)(3) talks about having a door with .....panic bars, pressure plates, or other devices that are normally latched but open under simple pressure.

There's this one electrical vault that someone installed a door where you have to turn the handle to open the door (it's not a round type door knob either), it's not a pressure plate. It's my understanding this would be a NEC violation and gets away from the original intent of making things easy for an electrical worker to get out safely and quickly, but what exactly is considered or defined as 'other devices that are normally latched but open under simple pressure'?

I asked this question because of the debate/discussion I am having with another :)

Gregg Harris

Occupation
Electrical,HVAC, Technical Trainer
2008 NEC 110.33(A)(3) talks about having a door with .....panic bars, pressure plates, or other devices that are normally latched but open under simple pressure.

There's this one electrical vault that someone installed a door where you have to turn the handle to open the door (it's not a round type door knob either), it's not a pressure plate. It's my understanding this would be a NEC violation and gets away from the original intent of making things easy for an electrical worker to get out safely and quickly, but what exactly is considered or defined as 'other devices that are normally latched but open under simple pressure'?

I asked this question because of the debate/discussion I am having with another :)

110.76 Access to Vaults and Tunnels.
(A) Location. Access openings for personnel shall be located where they are not directly above electrical equipment or conductors in the enclosure. Other openings shall be permitted over equipment to facilitate installation, maintenance, or replacement of equipment.
(B) Locks. In addition to compliance with the requirements of 110.34, if applicable, access openings for personnel shall be arranged such that a person on the inside can exit when the access door is locked from the outside, or in the case of normally locking by padlock, the locking arrangement shall be such that the padlock can be closed on the locking system to prevent locking from the outside.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer

I would consider an ADA lever type handle compliant. With those, you could push down on the handle with an elbow to unlatch it, and push outward on the door to open it.

However, the International Building Code has a more restrictive requirement for some electrical rooms. It requires actual panic hardward in some cases. I can't remember the details.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
The way I explain it to the architects in my office is that you have to be able to open the door with your hips. I doubt that would work with a round door knob. But if, without using your hands, you can push down a handle and then bump open the door, I would call it good.

north star

= =>

"I would consider an ADA lever type handle compliant. With those, you could push down on the handle with
an elbow to unlatch it, and push outward on the door to open it.

However, the International Building Code has a more restrictive requirement for some electrical rooms. It requires
actual panic hardward in some cases. I can't remember the details."
See Article 110.26(C), in the `08 NEC......Also, see Section 1008.1.8.9 in the `06 IBC.

<= =

Last edited:
The way I explain it to the architects in my office is that you have to be able to open the door with your hips. I doubt that would work with a round door knob. But if, without using your hands, you can push down a handle and then bump open the door, I would call it good.

I was told that one should not have to turn or twist anything to get out. The panic bar, or crash bar as it use to be called, was for the sole purpose of not delaying a person in getting out as turning a handle would. Also if people were to 'crash' into the door the door most likely would open if it has a crash bar. Basically the logic is, if you can move toward the door, then you can move out the door even with broken, burnt hands or if you are draging or carrying some one out to safety etc..

Basically this section of the building Code supports my belief

1008.1.8.1 Hardware.

Door handles, pulls, latches, locks and other operating devices on doors required to be accessible by Chapter 11 shall not require tight grasping, tight pinching or twisting of the wrist to operate.

Status
Not open for further replies.