Outdoor Connection with RE Washers

Status
Not open for further replies.
This seems to be standard practice for connecting a motor/air conditioner, etc. outside and has been for some time.

The motor box did not have a hub but had an oversized hole, side entry so RE washers were used. I know there are several methods of making this connection.

Motor is 480v, box is part of the motor assembly, I don't believe the motor was severe or wash down duty type of motor since it didn?t have a threaded hub.

The bottom line, is this a code compliant installation these days?

The sealtight has metal concentric so the RE washers have to be metal to metal contact.

kwired

Electron manager
This seems to be standard practice for connecting a motor/air conditioner, etc. outside and has been for some time.

The motor box did not have a hub but had an oversized hole, side entry so RE washers were used. I know there are several methods of making this connection.

Motor is 480v, box is part of the motor assembly, I don't believe the motor was severe or wash down duty type of motor since it didn?t have a threaded hub.

The bottom line, is this a code compliant installation these days?

The sealtight has metal concentric so the RE washers have to be metal to metal contact.

Is motor totally enclosed, open, drip proof.... where is the conduit entry, where does water go if it does enter the motor? If it is open drip proof construction water probably enters it at times anyway, but is not too likely to hurt much as long as it is clean water.

kwired

Electron manager
I have used myers hubs before with reducing bushings if I wanted a sealed connection.

Is there a gasket for the removable cover?

Does the motor have drain holes to drain any water that may get inside? Many totally enclosed motors do, and you do have to watch for that when you mount them.

Yes, we thought of that (and did make the change), however, the reducing bushings would not maintain the NEMA 4 rating since its not UL listed as a NEMA 4 assembly. Our code enforcers always refer back to the UL assembly!

Last edited:

kwired

Electron manager
Yes, we thought of that (and did make the change), however, the reducing bushings would not maintain the NEMA 4 rating since its not UL listed as a NEMA 4 assembly. Our code enforcers always refer back to the UL assembly!

Don't you love it when they give you a motor connection box with a 3 inch KO and the conductors you run only need 1-1/4 inch raceway? Or something similar to that scenario.

Status
Not open for further replies.