Multi-family Service Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkgrady

I'm working up a proposal to upgrade a service to a three family in Boston. It's a 3 decker.

The landlord lives in one of the units and wants some wiring done in her unit and one other. Mostly kitchen remodel stuff but my questions are about the service for now.

The existing service is (I'm guessing) 100 amps coming into the basement and hitting three meter sockets which each feed ing an apartment panel right above. The incoming conduit is 1-1/4" GRC. I will check with the POCO but I think they will require the new meter sockets outside even though most I see in the neighborhood are inside.

What I don't understand is how the existing arrangement met code. Each apt panel has about 10-12 breakers each and the panels have no main CB's. In this arrangement, isn't the limit 6 total CB's to shut down the power to the building? That would be just two CB's per panel. I don't get why these panels don't have MCB's???

I am planning to upgrade the service to 200 amps with four meters and four panels. The fourth panel will be to connect to common area loads that the landlord will pay for. I plan to feed each of the four new panels with 100 amps. I have never done a multi-family service upgrade before so I am describing my plans in case anybody here can forsee any problems.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Looks like you are taking the correct approach. Many old services were overlooked in terms of breakers. I can only guess that there was a main somewhere and somehow it got disconnected. Is there a main ahead of the meters?

mkgrady

Looks like you are taking the correct approach. Many old services were overlooked in terms of breakers. I can only guess that there was a main somewhere and somehow it got disconnected. Is there a main ahead of the meters?

No there isn't. It appears there is nothing to keep the SE cable from overloading and all 30 plus CBs would have to be shut off to kill the building.

Steviechia2

The existing service is (I'm guessing) 100 amps coming into the basement and hitting three meter sockets which each feed ing an apartment panel right above. The incoming conduit is 1-1/4" GRC. I will check with the POCO but I think they will require the new meter sockets outside even though most I see in the neighborhood are inside.

They do require it to be outside. I just did one in Cambridge were it was in a historical area and they let me install inside

I am planning to upgrade the service to 200 amps with four meters and four panels. The fourth panel will be to connect to common area loads that the landlord will pay for. I plan to feed each of the four new panels with 100 amps. I have never done a multi-family service upgrade before so I am describing my plans in case anybody here can forsee any problems.[/QUOTE]

Make sure the landlord meter has a bypass in it

mkgrady

They do require it to be outside. I just did one in Cambridge were it was in a historical area and they let me install inside Make sure the landlord meter has a bypass in it[/QUOTE said:
I will ask the POCO if meters can stay inside.

I was thinking I would buy a four gang meter socket. Can I get one that has a bypass in one of the four positions? I don't even know why they want a seperate meter. It is just for a few hallway lights.

Steviechia2

I will ask the POCO if meters can stay inside.

I was thinking I would buy a four gang meter socket. Can I get one that has a bypass in one of the four positions? I don't even know why they want a seperate meter. It is just for a few hallway lights.

Unless it's a historical site I doubt they will let you.
I have been told by my supplier that they do make it with just one with bypass. I have never purchased one yet
It might be cheaper with a 3 gang and 1 meter w/bypass on the side.
Also make sure all of the main disconnects are grouped together! either inside or outside

mkgrady

Unless it's a historical site I doubt they will let you.
I have been told by my supplier that they do make it with just one with bypass. I have never purchased one yet
It might be cheaper with a 3 gang and 1 meter w/bypass on the side.
Also make sure all of the main disconnects are grouped together! either inside or outside

Thanks for the input. Would you expect a three gang to come with some kind of feed thru lugs to feed the seperate socket?

Steviechia2

Thanks for the input. Would you expect a three gang to come with some kind of feed thru lugs to feed the seperate socket?

Probably no lugs at all but you can purchase dual lugs for it.
Most people do as you are proposing. I have heard of an inspectors not accept coming off of bus for another meter because of the rating of the bus.
I would not worry about it, seeing that there is very little load on the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.