work van interior lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

JJWalecka

I'm looking for ideas on interior lighting for a van. The light that can standard with the van just ain't cutting it.

What do others use to help light up the back area of a work van? (Besides a flashlight and the obvious run a cord with a drop light...)

Feedback is appreciated.

broadgage

Incandescents wont give enough light without excessive battery drain.

I would use standard enclosed or vandal resistant fittings that take a standard screw base bulb, very cheap and sold everywhere.
Fit 12 volt screw base compact flourescents, these are now fairly widely available. A pair of fittings each with a 12 volt 15 watt CFL should be ample.

I would avoid dedicated boat or RV 12 volt lights as most are very flimsy and will soon become broken if struck by the items carried in the van.

I would use the existing interior light switch to control an automotive relay that switches the new lights, remembering to fit a fuse in the circuit.

PetrosA

I retrofitted 170 lumen, 3W Philips AccentLED indoor capsules (3G4-I) from Home Despot. I had 4 10W festoon lamps in the rear and one in the front (50W load every time a door was opened, on a timer) and they killed my battery once or twice. I put three of the LEDs in the rear, one per each 2-lamp unit plus an additional one over the side door where my tool slider is, and one in the front. The difference is enormous. For a larger truck and budget, WAC 24V InvisiLED tape might be a way to go. It'll be more expensive but you'll get tons of lights for a few watts. I'll get some pics of my setup today.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
I'm looking for ideas on interior lighting for a van. The light that can standard with the van just ain't cutting it.

What do others use to help light up the back area of a work van? (Besides a flashlight and the obvious run a cord with a drop light...)

Feedback is appreciated.

elite LB100-15F-65K peel and stick 12 volt Led lighting.
http://www.iuseeliteled.com/products/lb100-15f-65k/497

127 Lumens PER/ FT for white LEDs

one roll should get the job done.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
Did you wire these from the existing switch (when doors are open) in your van, or add a separate control?

i haven't done them yet, but i have used a bunch of this for undercabinet
lighting, and the light output is pretty good... my wholesale house has
had problems with other brands of peel and stick led's dying, and no
problems with these... and the price is good... dunno what they are
currently but the price has dropped 40% in the last year or so.

there are also some available locally here that are in extruded aluminum housings
with power jacks that would make a really clean install, but at $25 a foot,
are a little pricey... :(

electricblue

Occupation
EC

there are also some available locally here that are in extruded aluminum housings

You can buy that stuff off ebay for cheap. I got that stuff in my van on my boat. Works great on 12 volt systems. Superbrightled.com is a cool site but pricey.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221106363079?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

you will be happy with these....

Status
Not open for further replies.