A "Where to" Power Factor correction debate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Besoeker

Because the extra current leads to additional I^2R losses all the way from the service to the load.
That depends on whether the same conductor size is used. The additional current without PFC may require a larger sized conductor.
Actually, that's one of the justifications for fitting PFC at the installation stage.
On one project we are currently undertaking there was a significant saving by fitting PFC close to the load allowing us to drop the cable size.

Obviously this isn't the situation if the PFC is a retrofit.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
That depends on whether the same conductor size is used. The additional current without PFC may require a larger sized conductor.
Actually, that's one of the justifications for fitting PFC at the installation stage.
On one project we are currently undertaking there was a significant saving by fitting PFC close to the load allowing us to drop the cable size.

Obviously this isn't the situation if the PFC is a retrofit.

I don't believe we would get any credit here for current reduction due to PFC. The load calculations just don't account for it.

Besoeker

I don't believe we would get any credit here for current reduction due to PFC. The load calculations just don't account for it.
Do the load calculations not take into account the reduced current required if PFC is fitted at the load end?

Status
Not open for further replies.