Extension Cords

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wondering what articles, if any, the followin installation violates:

A 30' foot extension cord feeding a power strip with numerous loads plugged into the power strip.

Are there any code limitations to extension cord lengths?

G._S._Ohm

As to functioning, Grainger's rules regarding extension cords seems to be #16 carries 13A, larger wires carry 15A and the max voltage drop at the current you are drawing is 5%.

iwire

Staff member
Thanks for the quick response. Do you mean its a violation of the plug strip's UL?

Yes

What if the plug strip is manufactured with a 30' cord? Would that be acceptable?

I do not know.

I happen to own four with 15' cords but I think they are listed as office furniture accessories not power taps. I removed them from some lab benches being thrown out.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Wondering what articles, if any, the followin installation violates:

A 30' foot extension cord feeding a power strip with numerous loads plugged into the power strip.

Are there any code limitations to extension cord lengths?

IMO, extension cords are UL items not subject to general scrutiny by the NEC, so in answer to your second question "no".

As another poster mentioned UL listings preclude use of power strips plugged into an extension cord or another power strip. There really is no good reason for this, but it is the way they are listed and if you care about such things you need to abide by this restriction. OTOH, it is not something that the average electrician is going to be installing so I am not sure it makes much difference. it is a user installed item. once you are gone they will do all kinds of truly evil things that actually are dangerous.

G._S._Ohm

There really is no good reason for this
I always thought it was the uncertain contact resistance in a plug/socket arrangement and this resistance can only increase with time due to loss of contact spring temper. A continuous conductor does not have this problem.

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
What is the difference between plugging in a 15A heater into the extension cord and plugging in a plug strip with a 15A breaker? This rule always bugs me, as does the prohibition on daisy chaining one plug stip off another. In our labs they tend to be ckocked full of little 20 watt CL3 transformers powering all the adapters/converters we have. Could have 3 diasy chained power strips with a whopping 4 amps going throug the first outlet. Eventually, we'll get a longer power strip with more receptacles but don't always have those laying around.

renosteinke

It's a miracle the blessed things are listed at all. Indeed, were it not for the 'surge suppressor' versions, and the universal use of computers in the workplace, I'm fairly confident that UL would never have agreed to list any sort of 'power strip.'

I've said it before, but it bears repeating ... if nothing else, to give everyone a peek 'behind the scenes' at UL.

Though UL is staffed almost entirely by engineers and trade school grads, every man jack among them thinks he's smarter than mere electricians - let alone manufacturers and homeowners. Why, they can read a code book, so they're experts! OK, I exaggerate a bit, but the hubris is common enough to set the stage.

Power strips are seen simply as "wrong." In their opinion, power strips are nothing but substitutes for fixed wiring. Used away from home, power strips make it way too easy to violate the 90-watt receptacle load calculation of a circuit. That's why UL insistes it be difficult to mount them. As far as UL is concerned, there is no legitimate use for a power strip. If you need one, you really need to call an electrician and have him 'do it right.'

Besides, there's a listed alternative ..... plugmold.

We'll ignore the fact that UL's facilities have thousands of power strips in use - and have since long before the things were listed. We'll simply observe that, depending on the specific department, the power strip was often considered a poor substitute for a 4-square on the end of an extension cord. Some departments insisted on the 4-squares.

So, it's no surprise that when UL was forced (by reality) to recognize power strips, they piled on as many restrictions as they could.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
It's a miracle the blessed things are listed at all. Indeed, were it not for the 'surge suppressor' versions, and the universal use of computers in the workplace, I'm fairly confident that UL would never have agreed to list any sort of 'power strip.'

I've said it before, but it bears repeating ... if nothing else, to give everyone a peek 'behind the scenes' at UL.

Though UL is staffed almost entirely by engineers and trade school grads, every man jack among them thinks he's smarter than mere electricians - let alone manufacturers and homeowners. Why, they can read a code book, so they're experts! OK, I exaggerate a bit, but the hubris is common enough to set the stage.

Power strips are seen simply as "wrong." In their opinion, power strips are nothing but substitutes for fixed wiring. Used away from home, power strips make it way too easy to violate the 90-watt receptacle load calculation of a circuit. That's why UL insistes it be difficult to mount them. As far as UL is concerned, there is no legitimate use for a power strip. If you need one, you really need to call an electrician and have him 'do it right.'

Besides, there's a listed alternative ..... plugmold.

We'll ignore the fact that UL's facilities have thousands of power strips in use - and have since long before the things were listed. We'll simply observe that, depending on the specific department, the power strip was often considered a poor substitute for a 4-square on the end of an extension cord. Some departments insisted on the 4-squares.

So, it's no surprise that when UL was forced (by reality) to recognize power strips, they piled on as many restrictions as they could.

What's the '90 watt receptacle load calculation of a circuit'?

Status
Not open for further replies.