Conduit Fill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Capital

Can I fit (3) 500 KCMIL and (1) #3 in 2.5 EMT-------copper

Do I need the ground wire if the conduit is suppling the equipmnet from a sub panel. (trying to say its not service equipment)

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Not to be tough on you , but have tried looking at the tables yet?

Unless you have a local code requiring more, no you do not need the #3 EG. The conduit may serve as the EG.

My calcs, say Yes, it will fit. How far are you going to pull it? The rule at our shop is "He who size conduit, pull wire."

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
What type insulation ? You might not even meet Code with the (3) 500's in a 2-1/2 :D
The requirement for an actual equipment grounding conductor can be effected by the nature of the installation, but in most cases yoiur EMT can serve as your equipment ground.

Capital

I did check the tables that is how I came up with wire size and conduit size. Wire type THHN, runs are short 10'. My answer was yes they fit and you do not need a ground, I was question by another electrician so I was looking for confirmation.

How do I calclulate if the ground fits in the conduit if I decide to use it?

Capital

Insulation THHN---copper---suppling equipmnet about 10' from sub panel--If i choose to use an equipmnet grounding conductor will if fit in the 2.5 conduit according to the code

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
When you have a mix of different size cables (or different insulation), you must rely on Table 4, Chapter 9 (Pgs 672-679 in the '08 Code).
In your case 500 kcmil THHN has an area of .7073, #3 an area of .0973.
Use those numbers to check against the allowable conduit fill in the same Tables.

Take a look and see what you decide......

Status
Not open for further replies.