Wiring diagram for 3-way switches installed on multi-wire circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmattero

Hello:
I have a property where two circuits come into a double switch box (ie. two hots in the switch box, controlled by two different circuit breakers). Both of the switches in the box are 3-way switches (one controls a light in the stairwell, and one a light in the living room). I am calling this a "multi-wire" circuit because these two circuits are using the same neutral, although everything is wired using 14/2 w/Ground. Thanks.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Hello:
I have a property where two circuits come into a double switch box (ie. two hots in the switch box, controlled by two different circuit breakers). Both of the switches in the box are 3-way switches (one controls a light in the stairwell, and one a light in the living room). I am calling this a "multi-wire" circuit because these two circuits are using the same neutral, although everything is wired using 14/2 w/Ground. Thanks.

It may be that there is a 14/3 somewhere else that feeds the 2- 14/2 nm cables that are wired to the switch box. This would indeed be a mwbc however it is also likely that the 14/2 feeds are spliced together and were not intended to be a MWBC. Are the circuits that feed the switch box on opposite phases?

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Hello:

Using the same neutral, or they just tied the neutrals together in the box?

Status
Not open for further replies.