VFD Cable Color Code

Status
Not open for further replies.

dicklaxt

Is there an established VFD power cable conductor "Color Code"?

I have a friend who is looking at a vendor drawing that shows "L2" to be white,system is 3 phase- 4160V.I don't believe I have ever run across that in my past dealings.L1 is red and L3 is blue sounds patriotic doesn't it.

anyone know of anything unique?????????

dick

Last edited:

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I have run across older medium voltage installations that used red, white and blue as the phase conductors.

Gregg Harris

Occupation
Electrical,HVAC, Technical Trainer
Is there an established VFD power cable conductor "Color Code"?

I have a friend who is looking at a vendor drawing that shows "L2" to be white,system is 3 phase- 4160V.I don't believe I have ever run across that in my past dealings.L1 is red and L3 is blue sounds patriotic doesn't it.

anyone know of anything unique?????????

dick

There are color codes used for VFD cables. Google ICEA color methods or VFD color codes for VFD

dicklaxt

Okay all good info but opens up more questions..

If the vendor drawings show the B phase white conductor connection to the drive unit landing on a specific terminal,,,,,,,is that terminal itself grounded and should that continuity be followed thru out from the POCO to and thru the transformer,switchgear,controller and eventually the user motor? I don't understand everything I know about this:dunce: as you can tell from the question.

dick

kwired

Electron manager
Our utility uses red, white and blue also if it is a grounded B delta, so now almost all deltas are marked like this around here.

4160 is a delta voltage I believe?

In a lot of small towns around here the POCO's use 4160/2400 wye distribution systems.

In response to the white color as a designation, most phase rotation test meters have red, white, blue leads, but I really don't know why. I have seen POCO that like to mark conductors with red, white, blue because of this, as an aid to help restore proper rotation if there is a problem in the future. Then electrical inspector sees the white and wonders why that conductor is marked with white.

Status
Not open for further replies.