Concrete wall residential

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benton

What do recommend when it comes to putting power on concrete wall that will be ferred out with 1x4's? It's not deep enough for standard boxes.

renosteinke

Fir it out more.

Standard boxes? The wires will enter the boxes right where the drywall meets the box.

Fir it out more. Then you can attach 4-squares to the concrete, and reach out with extended mud rings.

Customer doesn't like, he gets surface mounted stuff on top of the drywall- including the wire.

John120/240

If the furring strips don't provide enough depth for handy boxes, you are outta luck.

Might try a wiremold product, this can get expensive real quick.

Try to talk the homeowner in to standard 2 X 4 construction, provides room for insulation

& it makes your job easier.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
The above or a chipping hammer.
Carlon does make a 18 cu in box with a "side pocket" (Cat SNO-18R) that will work with a 2x4 turned flat but I know of no solution for a 1" strip.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
1 5/8" metal studs and standard 1900 boxes or break out the chopping gun. IMO only an amateur would use furring strips for a job like this.

iwire

Staff member
IMO only an amateur would use furring strips for a job like this.

You must have never done hotels or condos. An apprentice on a chipping gun for days at a time. Luckily I can only recall this with block and brick walls not poured walls.

These where not small jobs and far from amateur engineers. :)

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
What do recommend when it comes to putting power on concrete wall that will be ferred out with 1x4's? It's not deep enough for standard boxes.

I have used these. Keep in mind it was years ago and I don't even know if they are legal now. but they are a MAJOR pain. And you can't daisy chain receptacles. 1 wire per box. Have to pull wires back to a junction box where you can get to it later if you need to.

http://www.foxelectricsupply.com/co...Detail.asp?qsCatID=24621&qsProductNo=CRHTP103

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

lavacano

Chadwick Ferguson, Safe and Sound Electric
Occupation
02 master
at some point youve got to just say We will have to use metal boxes with an inch or two reveal in this rediculous situation.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
I have used shallow wiremold boxes with jumbo plates, the box will protrude slightly past the rock, but the jumbo cover laps in enough to cover the gap. But as others have said, you are extremly limited on wire fill.

Status
Not open for further replies.