New service serving only a fire pump

Status
Not open for further replies.

lfloyd

How do you design an electric service that serves nothing but a fire pump?
Is this not required to be connected ahead of the service disconnect?
Does this mean there will be no service disconnect and it is fed straight from the meter can into the pump controller?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
How do you design an electric service that serves nothing but a fire pump?
A good place to start would be to read Art 695

Is this not required to be connected ahead of the service disconnect?
Yes. but there's a lot more to it. Again, Art 695

Does this mean there will be no service disconnect and it is fed straight from the meter can into the pump controller?

Almost all, if not all, fire pump controllers are service rated.

iceworm

Curmudgeon still using printed IEEE Color Books
Occupation
EE (Field - as little design as possible)
...Is this not required to be connected ahead of the service disconnect? ...

...Yes. but there's a lot more to it. Again, Art 695 ....

Augie -
where does the code say a fire pump has to be connected ahead of the service disconnecting means?

Every thing I read says "permitted" to be installed ahead" of the service. It doesn't say "shall be installed ahead".

ice

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Augie -
where does the code say a fire pump has to be connected ahead of the service disconnecting means?

Every thing I read says "permitted" to be installed ahead" of the service. It doesn't say "shall be installed ahead".

ice

It may be in one of the fire codes, not the NEC. There are a lot of generator requirements for fire pumps that are not in the NEC.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Augie -

ice

The way I read that (695.3) and the way I have seen it interpreted is "permitted to be (a) a separate service or (b) ahead of the regular service" an either or situation.

kwired

Electron manager
The whole idea is that turning off the service supplying the rest of the building will not interrupt the fire pump, so that means either a separate service must supply the fire pump, or it can be tied to a common service but ahead of the disconnecting means for the rest of the building.

Last thing you want is for the fire department to show up, and turn off the power and find out it also shut off the fire pump. This is also why fire pump disconnect is not to be located in same location as any other allowable service disconnects

Last edited:

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
You can have a service disconnecting means but it must be rated to carry locked rotor current. The Art 695 rules have some unique requirements, EG service conductors inside the pump room have to encased in 2" of concrete.
I had to rebuild a fire pump service for a 100 HP fire pump. The service disconnect would have been 800 amperes!

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
I was in Maryland a week ago, and I think their a little confused on the requirements, they had a main disconnect on the outside of the building, with a big sign telling firefighters that turning off the main also turns off the fire pump!:roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.