Tool size?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking into buying a rotory hammer primarily for ground rod instalations. Will a "bulldog" do it? I was going to buy a 1 9/16 or 1 3/4 rotory hammer but they are a bit pricey. I have always rented one of those 2 drills and ground rods go in like butter. I havent tried to install a ground rod with a bulldog, and I was wondering if it will do the trick. Any advice is welcome. Thanks

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
I am looking into buying a rotory hammer primarily for ground rod instalations. Will a "bulldog" do it? I was going to buy a 1 9/16 or 1 3/4 rotory hammer but they are a bit pricey. I have always rented one of those 2 drills and ground rods go in like butter. I havent tried to install a ground rod with a bulldog, and I was wondering if it will do the trick. Any advice is welcome. Thanks

i have a hilti 903, which works well, and you can used demolition bits, a tamper, and clay spade, etc.

and they do have the coolest ground rod driver... drives rods from ground level, so you don't need
to stand on a ladder with a jackhammer.

LEO2854

Esteemed Member

I use the Bosh 11264EVS 1-5/8" and it works great well worth the money...:thumbsup:

http://www.homedepot.com/buy/bosch-1-5-8-in-13-amp-rotary-hammer-11264evs.html#.ULqA74b4LSE

d2c7581c-c23c-4cd7-953e-8488d8e2cf80_300.jpg

Stevareno

Rocky ground is the worst. I hate that feeling you get when you drive a ground rod, think you're almost there, and then hit solid rock. :eek:hmy:

Makes me wonder how many "fly by night" people have cut ground rods to make an inspector happy. Lord knows it has crossed my mind. :ashamed1:

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
Depends on your ground. I have trouble driving rods, even when I use a 70# jackhammer.

My DeWalt has driven every rod I have tried except one where I was too close to the wall and hit concrete foundation. Moved out a foot & was OK. Extremely hard & rocky ground, it may take 3-4 minutes. About 2 minutes or less is standard.

renosteinke

jmellc, feel free to bring your DeWalt to Reno.

We'll start at 8. If you have the rod in by 10, I'll buy coffee. If it's not in by 12, you can buy lunch :D

iwire

Staff member
I am going to have to agree with Reno here, it really depends on your areas soil conditions.

I live south of the 'Granite State' as result of that and the last ice ages our soil is more rocks than soil, not ledge, just rocks from marble size to bowling ball size.

Sometimes you get lucky and get one in on the first try but more often than not you hit a rock you can't get by.

John120/240

We'll start at 8. If you have the rod in by 10, I'll buy coffee. If it's not in by 12, you can buy lunch :D

I am going to have to agree with Reno here, it really depends on your areas soil conditions.

I live south of the 'Granite State' as result of that and the last ice ages our soil is more rocks than soil, not ledge, just rocks from marble size to bowling ball size.

Sometimes you get lucky and get one in on the first try but more often than not you hit a rock you can't get by.

Why not turn a 90 18" down on the ground rod & bury in a 8'6" long trench ? You still

may come across rocks however.

iwire

Staff member
Why not turn a 90 18" down on the ground rod & bury in a 8'6" long trench ? You still

may come across rocks however.

Unless I am working in fresh back fill it is not even a 'may' it would take me a long time to hand dig a 8' long x 4" wide x 188" deep slit.

Here what it looks like when you did a hole around here:D

spring+2010+2+69+94685rs.jpg

renosteinke

Why not trench ....

I have done that. NEC does provide for using a 30" deep trench 'where solid rock is encountered.' When I do that, I also pour some concrete around the rod - making it essentially a 'concrete encased electrode'- and I use a 10-ft. rod, lest there be an argument about whether I have 'eight feet in the ground.'

Personally, I'd like to see the NEC recognize this trenching in a more general way.

We'll contrast Reno with today's jobsite, which is on the banks of the Mississippi, right at the Missouri / Arkansas border. Today's pair of rods went in .... well, I got the first foot or two in with simple hand pressure on the rods, and the balance of the rod with only the slightest of tapping. Had I put one of those plastic 'rebar protectors' on the rods, I am confident I could have pounded them in with my fist. This local "gumbo" mud/clay may be the devil to dig in, bit it's a breeze for sinking ground rods!

jmellc

Occupation

You must be on a rock shelf. I have had no trouble here except when I hit a concrete foundation. I'm sure a rock shelf would hold it off to. I have seen 1 or 2 shelves but fortunately did not have to drive rods into them.:D

Besides, Reno is a looonnnggg drive.

jmellc

Occupation
Rocky ground is the worst. I hate that feeling you get when you drive a ground rod, think you're almost there, and then hit solid rock. :eek:hmy:

Makes me wonder how many "fly by night" people have cut ground rods to make an inspector happy. Lord knows it has crossed my mind. :ashamed1:

Don't you know cutting ground rods is a "don't ask, don't tell" issue?:D

jmellc

Occupation
I suppose in a really desperate situation with rock, one could hire a well driller to drill a hole a few inches deeper than the rod, then pour mud down around it & pack it in, or dribble concrete down the hole. Would be an expensive ground rod. :weeping:

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I suppose in a really desperate situation with rock, one could hire a well driller to drill a hole a few inches deeper than the rod, then pour mud down around it & pack it in, or dribble concrete down the hole. Would be an expensive ground rod. :weeping:

I don't believe that would make for a code legal ground rod though.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
With soil or concrete packed in, why not? It could not be pulled up.

it says the rod has to be driven.

would you could do is drill the hole, fill it with dirt and drive the rod in. but you can't fill in around the rod with concrete IMO. maybe you could "drive" the rod through the wet concrete. I don't recall the exact wording, so I don't know if it says you can drive through anything other than earth.

Status
Not open for further replies.