I'm new to the forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

brad9m

I bought some of the study materials from Mike Holt and it helped me to pass my PE exam. Thanks Mike! Since then, I have been receiving emails from Mike Holt with the forum content and some other interesting articles.

I read through the forum rules and I know that we can't advertise for our companies, but I wanted to know if it was ok to post job opportunities on here. I don't want to get banned on Day 1!

Thanks,

Brad Meyer, PE

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
You wont get banned for that but I am not sure how we deal with that. Personally I think it could be allowed but if I remember correctly it is not encouraged. I think it is safe to say that someone reading this could PM you. Perhaps you may want to add what area the jobs would be available in. Is it Georgia?

kwired

Electron manager
I don't like the idea of posting jobs, looking for jobs, etc. If this site turns into an employment site I think it would be a bad thing.

I have no problem with an occasional mentioning of some things but don't know how to fairly regulate what would or would not be allowed and would hope that all other information of this type be done via personal messaging.

zog

Hey, I asked first! But for a fellow Navy Nuke, I suppose it's ok.

Everyone needs relay techs, always been that way. If I find one looking for work I wonder what is wrong with him, and there is usually something. I don't think either one of us will get any bites :)

I don't like the idea of posting jobs, looking for jobs, etc. If this site turns into an employment site I think it would be a bad thing.

I have no problem with an occasional mentioning of some things but don't know how to fairly regulate what would or would not be allowed and would hope that all other information of this type be done via personal messaging.

Perhaps - if Mike Holt is not opposed to it - a separate section can be created for Job Oppurtunities. Along with that, when selecting What's New? there could be a filter what one can select to view or not specific topics.

zog

Perhaps - if Mike Holt is not opposed to it - a separate section can be created for Job Oppurtunities. Along with that, when selecting What's New? there could be a filter what one can select to view or not specific topics.

Think that has been discussed before and shot down, and I tend to agree. Linkedin is the place to post jobs, not here.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
Everyone needs relay techs, always been that way. If I find one looking for work I wonder what is wrong with him, and there is usually something. I don't think either one of us will get any bites :)

m'kay.... i'll bite... why is a relay tech always in demand,
and what requirements are necessary....

and of course, what's the skill worth in the free market?

brad9m

http://www.indeed.com/rc/clk?jk=c6e42d637d03611c

For SEL Engineering Services, we have relay techs verify schematics, field wiring, program relays, test relays, etc. The majority of work is in the field at utilities, substations, and large industrial buildings. The formal job description is in the link.

I'm not sure why it is so hard to find qualified candidates. If you can solve that mystery, please share!

zog

m'kay.... i'll bite... why is a relay tech always in demand,
and what requirements are necessary....

and of course, what's the skill worth in the free market?

There just are not many out there, supply and demand. Being an engineer helps but that is not always necessary, you just have to be able to think like one. It mostly comes down to experience, anyone with good electrical theory background can test simple 50/51 relays, the multifunction ones can get complex and the new NERC reporting requirements make it even harder. Brad9M's company offers some excellent training for relay testing. I am flying to Florida Monday to interview an entry level relay tech that I actaully met on one of these forums who invented on some training out of his pocket just to get into the field because he worked with some relay guys on a few jobs.

An experienced relay engineer can make 6 figures easy without ever getting dirty.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Historically, "Calls for Employment/Work" are allowed to remain in the open and are closed.

They are allowed to remain in the open as long as the OP has some post history beyond advertising of one form or another. While the OP did not have said history at the start of this thread, sufficient post history has been developed to verify it's not spam.

Long story long, this thread will be closed. Anyone interested please contact appropriate parties via PM. If anyone wishes to inquire more about relay techs in general, they are welcome to start a new thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.