Losing buisness to marketing companies: Leasing License BS

Status
Not open for further replies.

KVA

I see guys on Craigslist doing this a lot. It's crazy. I would never risk my license on someone. How do you know that person did the work right? What if it caused someones home to burn, equipment damage, shock or electrocution? If any of that happens it all comes back to the guy with the license.

Never ever ever no matter how much money someone offered me would I "rent" my license.

kwired

Electron manager
That is probably illegal to do in most places.

It definitely is here.

I'm sure other places are different, but I don't think it would be very easy to get away with here either.

First the contractor that holds the license must have liability insurance certificate on file with the AHJ or they will not issue permits to that license holder. If you get past that one, most of the inspectors know the contractors in their area that they frequently work with, so if something unusual is going on they will figure it out. Also licenses are issued to individual people, and not to businesses. If you can not prove you are the person the license is issued to, they will take next steps toward prosecution, likely going to the county attorney wherever this violation occurs.

renosteinke

I once posted such a CL thread here, only to have the thread deleted by a mod. It was felt to be in violation of the 'let's not talk about CL' policy. Yet, I was trying to discuss the same issues as this thread.

That is .... these days, there is no shortage of ads by parties claiming to need you 'just for the license.' My initial thought was 'gee, these bottom-feeders really seem to hate the thought of playing by the rules.' I've since had other thoughts .....

Namely: is it possible that these are bogus ads, placed by trolling licensing agencies, hoping to entrap the unwary? What you might call a 'sting' operation?

It's amazing how these ads almost seem to 'go right down the list' of things you're not supposed to do. They'll say they just need you to pull the permit, that they have their own crew, that you'll have no supervisory role and will never be a principle in the firm. Sometimes they'll insist you be a union JW, and want to see your card, for some 'side work.'

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
It's amazing how these ads almost seem to 'go right down the list' of things you're not supposed to do. They'll say they just need you to pull the permit, that they have their own crew, that you'll have no supervisory role and will never be a principle in the firm. Sometimes they'll insist you be a union JW, and want to see your card, for some 'side work.'

well, anyone dumb enough to accept liability for something without compensation
deserves what happens to them.

i don't see it as a loss of income for me. a loss of income for me would
be to involve myself in something like this, and have to pay for the
damages i'd be responsible for after the scammer disappears with
the customers money, leaving me responsible.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
My best understanding in NC is that one can work under another person's license but the license holder has to be able to oversee work when needed, be available to do so when needed. Same as you have a mechanic you send out to do jobs. He does most of them well, you may never actually see the job. But if he has trouble on something, he can call you & you come out to direct him.

But OTOH, if you let someone work under your license and you have a full time job, you are not fully available if needed.

cdslotz

In Texas, the license holder must be on the payroll of the company he represents.
If he licenses more than one company, he must be at least 51% ownership.

Status
Not open for further replies.