Small appliance branch

Status
Not open for further replies.

6sunset6

Does 2011 NEC require Small Appliance branch circuits to be AFCI protected? Installing an essential services back up generator.
Do I have to change the CB in the transfer panel for the refridge , freezer, microwave?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
210.12 Arc-Fault Circuit-Interrupter Protection for
Dwelling Units. All 120-volt, single phase, 15- and 20-
ampere branch circuits supplying outlets installed in dwelling
unit family rooms, dining rooms, living rooms, parlors,
libraries, dens, bedrooms, sunrooms, recreation rooms,
closets, hallways, or similar rooms or areas shall be protected
by a listed arc-fault circuit interrupter, combinationtype,
installed to provide protection of the branch circuit.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Does 2011 NEC require Small Appliance branch circuits to be AFCI protected? Installing an essential services back up generator.
Do I have to change the CB in the transfer panel for the refridge , freezer, microwave?
As Gus quoted the NEC you can see that the Kitchen is not part of the afci requirement

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer

SABC's in kitchens would not require Arc-Fault protection, but SABCs in dining rooms would.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Thanks I read it too fast. But then there is "similar rooms" The AHJ loves these.
I don't see a kitchen as a similar room to the ones mentioned. The term "similar rooms" is in there so the nec did not have to name every specific room -- the kitchen and laundry and bath are 3 areas not included in this requirement.

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
I think the key is the dining room requirement. Code requires those to be on at least one of the SABC's for the kitchen. You can exceed code and run a third SABC for the dining room only, but many builders don't do that. So if the kitchen SABCs extend into the dining room, you need the AFCI.

Status
Not open for further replies.